Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by G. Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:36 pm
I've entered the Yorkshire RC hillclimb in 2 weeks. The course climbs Cragg Vale, the longest continuous hill in the country, with 268m ascent in 7.09km.

What's more, our very own Cyan Skymoos holds the course record with 15.48! Does anybody fancy a crack at that?

So, who wants to joini in? The online entry is still open, though I don't know for how long. The climb starts right next to Mytholmroyd station so I'll be catching the train out, probably the 12:15 - come along and keep me company :)

by MarkA Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:12 pm
Feel bad about this Greg but afraid i am dipping out despite saying was going to ride.

http://discussion.cliftoncc.org/viewtopic.php?t=4530

Partly due to my poor showing last couple of weekends but also precisely because of fact have been out last couple of weekends! And I will be next weekend too at inter club event at Wolds Newton. Not v family friendly with start of kiddies soccer season etc.

One for next year. Lets set a date for mid summer event if its on, rather than October!

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 pm
Great climb, smooth tarmac (at least it was 18 years ago, probably covered in potholes now) 53/19, or 17/18 with these modern carbon lightweight machines.. get out of the saddle everytime you slow down.

by Antlazarus Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm
I've just emailed my entry form, so I'll hopefully be on the train with you as well Greg. 12.15?

Anthony

by G. Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:15 pm
That sounds good, I'll PM you my phone number. Does anyone else want to join the party?

by PeteN Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:32 am
I'm hoping to have a go at this. I read read somewhere that it is best to run a lower tyre pressure for hill climbs, is that correct? If so, what is the best pressure for clinchers?

by Cyan Skymoos Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:49 pm
On a steep climb where the roads are wet/greasy you might want to drop the pressure in the rear a little, but for a climb like Cragg Vale I don't see wheel spin being a problem.

by AndyM Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:40 am
Would really like to do this but doesnt look like it'll be possible - good luck guys. Are you riding the BUCS hill climb up Curbar Gap, Greg?

by G. Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:09 am
Yes I'm riding the BUCS, along with four or five others from York. I think you should wear your Clifton kit Andy, in red and black you might get mistaken for someone from a good university.

As for Cragg Vale, the start sheet is up so I think it's too late to enter anyway. I'm off at 11, Anthony at 17.

by AndyM Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:04 pm
Might be tempted to wear my Clifton 'euro style' cap, but will definitely be wearing my Sheff uni jersey I'm afraid.. so it'll be down to you to make York uni look good!

Start sheet is up, Greg. You're starting 2 mins behind me, so I'll give you a clap and cheer up to the finish!

by G. Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:30 pm
So you're planning on avoiding the catch then? As I said before, remember to sew up your jersey pockets in case I'm tempted to slip in some lead weights on the start line :twisted:

by G. Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:42 pm
There's another hillclimb up Cragg Vale on Wednesday July 10th at 7pm. I've entered, does anyone else fancy a crack at it?

by mcaley Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:41 pm
What time will you be leaving York?

by G. Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 pm
I'll actually be going there straight from a work trip to Newcastle. When we did this last time, Ant and I got the train via Leeds - the start is less than a mile from Mytholmroyd station.

by MarkA Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:44 am
Internet entry still available for this (and i have just entered)