Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by reubenbarrett Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:37 pm
Just want to announce new Saturday morning 8:45am ride. Aim for this ride is to finish before noon and to keep the group together. Overall pace should be social but not slow! Will suit those who can't commit all day to one of the club runs or haven't got the pace to keep up with the racers.

Steve A led the first ride last week and there will be another one this Saturday with the new time of 8:45am. This is to deliberately have a different starting time from the training ride so it is clear in the morning which ride is which!

Ride will be led by Steve this week and by me the following week. But we need more volunteers to lead the ride. This is not hard - plan a ride of 40 to 50 miles and then make sure that everyone follows it and gets home. That's it.

Steve has mapped out route for this week. This is a great route for a Saturday morning ride with a few nice hills. I suggest letting group split on hills and re-group at top. If there is a large variance in pace on longer hills, the faster riders can ride back down and do the hill again if they want more!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=520629

by Fiona Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:05 pm
Damn it! I'm on nights this weekend so won't be able to make it. I am keen to join this steadier group now that the 9am ride is too quick for me. And next Saturday i'm at a wedding :roll:
I will get out and support this ride sonner or later - not sure i've got the experience or judgement of pace to lead a ride just yet though.

by Allan Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:39 pm
I will be there along with possibly two new guys.

Allan

-------__0
--- --- \_ \¬
------ (+) / (+)______ better by bike!

by Paul W Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:56 pm
I'm hoping to be on this ride now that work has eased off a bit.not been out with you guys for a while so looking forward to it again :)

by like my bike Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:36 am
Which direction are you riding - I will try and meet you on route from Stamford Bridge ...

A J

by reubenbarrett Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:25 pm
Route is Stockton Lane, Stockon-on-the-Forest, Northgate Lane, Upper Helmsley, Sand Hutton. If you ride that backwards from Stamford Bridge and set off a bit later than 8:45am, we'll probably see you around Stockton-on-the-Forest.

We'll keep an eye out!

by Paul W Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 pm
IA J.. I'm leaving from full sutton so if you want to meet up somewhere in Stamford.just let me know a time etc.

by like my bike Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:27 pm
meet Stamford Bridge square outside co-op 8.45

A J
by louisev Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:43 pm
This was our first ride out with the club and we really enjoyed it until the first puncture......... the group headed out round a corner and my shout of 'PUNTCURE' wasn't loud enough :-( we tried to play catch up and 'Bang' 2nd puncture..... at this point we gave up and headed home, our 45 mile sat morning ride turned into 53...

We will be back again for round 2 in two weeks time, hopefully no punctures this time though!

Louise and Lee

by Paul W Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 pm
What a great ride out.nice and friendly. nice to be allowed to stretch the legs on the climbs without upsetting anyone. was good to be able to chat to riders while riding rather than gasping for a breath with 1 word every 30 seconds. hope these rides continue. 40 miles for me. carnt make next weeks ride unfortunatly. well done to the ride leaders and the great route provided for us all. :)

by reubenbarrett Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:36 pm
Great ride out everyone, I really enjoyed it! Well done Steve for planning a really nice route.

11 in the square for 8:45am and we met up with Paul and Andy on the road to make 13. It was a nice social pace but heading for hills is a really good tactic on these rides as everyone can stretch the chain to their own ability on the way up hills and then we can re-group at the top.

From discussions on the way round, I know that Alan, Andy, Steve and me are prepared to lead these rides on a rotating basis - if there is anyone else please post on here as the more the better. "Leading" this ride really only means deciding a route and then shouting left, right and straight on at the right places but there is enough collective knowledge of the area in the group that this isn't necessary most of the time! Andy and I thought we could put a collection of routes on this site so that anyone leading can re-use an existing route so even deciding a route should not be challenging.

I am going to do next week (13th) and Alan has volunteered to do the week after (20th). So that is great! Please can we have an early volunteer for 27th? The numbers this morning clearly demonstrate that there is a demand for a 50ish mile ride that aims to finish before lunch.

Apologies to Louise and Lee - we turned back to find you - I went part way back up the hill to see if you had punctured but clearly did not go far enough up to find you!

My route from today is here: http://app.strava.com/activities/47458561.

For anyone reading about this ride who is new to group riding, please join us. You will find it a welcoming group without any pressure. Next ride will be 8:45am from Exhibition Square and I will post a route in the next few days. I am thinking Malton/Castle Howard way.

by Allan Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:49 pm
Great ride and great company on this morning's ride. Am appearance from Howard too!

Allan

-------__0
--- --- \_ \¬
------ (+) / (+)______ better by bike!

by john Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:38 pm
Thought this ride was a great idea thanks to all {stunning weather}

by Karl M Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:49 pm
reubenbarrett wrote:Please can we have an early volunteer for 27th?

Yes, I’ll happily offer a ride.
The route will be something like this:
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=522796

For anyone interested, the 27th will be in between the Thixendale Spirograph on the 20th/21st April and the Pocklington Pedal on the 4th May.

by HowardD Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 am
Many thanks to Steve and to Reuben for getting this ride off the ground. I really enjoyed it and I intend to be out for the next one too.