Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by GrahamMartin Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 am
I was chatting the Phil Bixby on the way out to Saxton on Tuesday about getting seniors racing going on the York Sport Circuit. Its great to see about 5 White Rose Youth League events posted, but there's nothing yet for Seniors.

At great risk to my stress levels, I'm going to bravely put myself forwards to organise a race night this summer. Here's some suggested parameters to fuss over:

- 6.45pm Cat 4 (45mins+5laps) followed by 7.45pm 2nd/3rd or 3rd Cat race (50mins+5laps).

- A Tuesday or Thursday in July could work well, as long as it didn't clash with NYRRL or detract from the City Centre Races.

- Could be enter-on-the-night, though we might need to limit numbers strictly as we've no idea what numbers will work.

- I'm guessing we'd need a team of 5, myself included, to cover all roles, plus requisite BC officials.[/list]

Is this a goer, or a daft idea?

by Sharpy Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 pm
Would consider some 3/4 races as well.... They are always well contested.

But definatetly a goer!

by GrahamMartin Fri May 17, 2013 12:39 pm
Just to clarify, when I said 3rd I meant 3/4 (Regional B). I just assume 4th's go for the 'easier' ride in their own category.

Also, I'm working on the assumption that limiting fields on the first night and then increasing them if its felt the circuit can cope is the way to go (shout if I'm wrong!).

Big question: 4th Category race followed by 3/4 or 4th followed by 2/3/4? Which will get the better turn-out? Any 3rd's want to express an opinion?

by GavinW Fri May 17, 2013 1:03 pm
I'd go for a 4th only followed by 2/3/4 or similar but one way to test the water would be to add a post to the Yorkshire Circuit Series group on facebook

by Sharpy Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 pm
A 234 would work for me, but depends on the numbers. I think there is definite benefit in getting experience racing against 2&3's as the nature of the race can be very differnt to a 4th only.

Normally people offer a 4th only and then free entry to a 234 or a 34 depending on how you work it, if you try and charge for 4th to do both you just wont get (m)any as they know they cannot realistically compete in 2 races properly.

I just want to get on there and do some racing!! Huzzah! :D

by GrahamMartin Fri May 17, 2013 2:05 pm
I hear your point, but with fields likely to be limited initially, its possible we could fill all the places in both races without any 4ths getting a 2nd ride.

Thameside Cycle Circuit has a field limit of 40 for all events, and although I believe this circuit is meant to fit bigger groups, there's a big question-mark hanging over one of the corners and its proximity to the lake.

by Sharpy Fri May 17, 2013 4:51 pm
GrahamMartin wrote: hanging over one of the corners and its proximity to the lake.

Is the disclaimer going to ask if you can swim! :lol:

But seriously... Really? I cannot see a corner that near a lake?
by like my bike Sat May 18, 2013 5:17 pm
Hi Guys great to hear your thinking about organising races at the new circuit. The club has been working to form a partnership of clubs around the new circuit to ensure the events are sustainable and that if every club contributes a little bit no single club is overloaded. Currently York Sport Partnership has invited to following clubs/teams

Clifton Cycling Club
York Cycleworks
Malton Wheelers Road Club
Selby Cycling Club
University of York Cycling Club
University of York Triathlon Club
York Tri
Seacroft Wheelers
Fulford Cycles

We are hopeful that every club will get involved, which if they do will be great.

We will be running an Event familiarisation workshop on 25th June 10-1pm which we will talk about race organisation and the roles and responsibilities involved everyone is welcome.

Hopefully we will have more news next week.

A J

by GrahamMartin Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 am
Glad to see the students listed. If my current (slightly bizarre) 'work' situation continues, I should be able to help run Wednesday afternoon intervarsity races with them, which will be a big improvement on the current TT-only situation. Can't wait to see York thrash Leeds Gryphons - I'm getting a bit tired of seeing them in race results!