Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by mart66 Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:36 pm
Presumably all who entered have received the organiser's email?

As last year, do we just let him decide?

Cheers

Martin

by Melly Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm
Im happy with that, i think its the fairest way 8)

by GavinW Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:20 pm
I'm a new Clifton CC member so I wasn't around last year. However it strikes me that the fairest approach is to let the race organiser decide as suggested.

by mart66 Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 am
Judging by the email, he's going to pick based on entry date. Bit of a lottery.

by PhilBixby Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 am
Unless there's anyone who was really treating it as a "maybe" event I guess the least stressful way is to simply let the organiser allocate the rides. Unless any objections to this, I'll email him within the next couple of days.

by RichardD Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:30 am
I notice there is a 2,3,4 the same day. I have asked the organiser if it would be possible to transfer from the 3,4 to the 2,3,4 if there is space. I'll update once I have a reply.

by Cam B Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:37 pm
PhilBixby wrote:Unless there's anyone who was really treating it as a "maybe" event I guess the least stressful way is to simply let the organiser allocate the rides. Unless any objections to this, I'll email him within the next couple of days.

fine with me
by timj Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:06 pm
fine by me

by mart66 Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 pm
I wonder if he'll allow for 4 Clifton in each race.

by RichardD Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 pm
Hopefully this will not confuse matters, but would like to give people a heads-up. I contacted Ian this morning asking if it was possible to transfer from the 3,4 to 2,3,4 race to give as many clifton riders as possible a ride.
I have just received a reply and he has sent the list of the 8 clifton riders in date order of application. As things stand I think the first four names will be guaranteed a ride. He indicated there maybe one or two places in the 2,3,4 race (but BC entry is now closed) and I still do not know if transfer is possible.

If you are one of the bottom four and are desparate to ride not sure if the best option is to contact Ian directly about the 2,3,4 race and try to secure a place? or ask where you may be on the 3,4 reserve list?

Tim J
Gavin W
Richard D
Phil B
Martin S
Cam B
John S
Simon M

by Melly Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 pm
Im not desperate to do anything on this ride have discussed it with several other people from other clubs it appears the selection list is very elitist and chosen very carefully, I just want my entrance money refunded and along with several other people i know, we will not be wasting time applying for entry to this event again!!!!

by mart66 Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:02 am
I think that's the way it is when the organiser selects entrants, Simon. The BC form even has a section for previous race results so the organiser can decide if you're good enough!

Some of the more experienced guys will know better than me but I presume this is over subscribed as its one of the first races of the season and everyone is keen.

I've asked to be transferred to the 2/3/4. Not sure if I'll get in but I potentially could be getting battered two weeks in a row. I may have withdrawn from racing by April!

Martin

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 pm
I'm not sure what the selection criteria is for this race, we've got a social next Wednesday and I can ask the question if you like Simon.

I'm sure if Seacroft had someone who wanted to race they'd get a ride, young riders have been favoured in the past. I think there was also a limit of 4 riders from any one club last year. Ian can't win really and I don't know why he bothers, I wouldn't.

by Cam B Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:54 pm
Melly wrote:Im not desperate to do anything on this ride have discussed it with several other people from other clubs it appears the selection list is very elitist and chosen very carefully, I just want my entrance money refunded and along with several other people i know, we will not be wasting time applying for entry to this event again!!!!

To be fair to Ian ...I think he as acted very fairly. He has informed us well in advance . If you look at the BC website it is very clear that this is a race where the Organiser picks the entries and the criteria is on the site i.e.

"Info for Riders:Entries open on 1st Jan 2013. Entry fee includes cost of mandatory road closure for events in North Yorkshire.
PLEASE NOTE: Entries are NOT accepted on a first-come-first-served basis - see selection criteria below
Riders will be selected in priority order using the following criteria:
1) Junior Category (from any Region)
2) Riders from clubs/teams in the Yorkshire Region which promote BC Road Races in 2012 or 2013
3) Riders from clubs/teams in the Yorkshire Region
Depending on the number of entries the organiser reserves the right to limit the maximum no. of riders from any one club/team"

I have not been racing for that long but this has been the same issue with this race for the previous 2 seasons. It's one of the first races so everyone is chomping at the bit to get a ride! The fact that our club organises races will have afforded us some priority in ensuring that at least 4 of us get ride.
I guess race organising must be a thankless task and I'm glad that I don't have to do it...oh, just checked... I am :D I haven't bothered to go into the detail that Ian has taken time to put down re: selection criteria (in respect of Clifton RR on 30 June) so.. well done Ian!

by PhilBixby Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:13 pm
I'll leap to Ian's defence as well - as the first local 3/4 race in the area they're always wildly oversubscribed and running any kind of vaguely transparent system of choosing riders is nigh on impossible. You would not believe the bellyaching which happens, and the mucking around which organisers suffer in that situation (except for Cam who'll be experiencing it first-hand :D ). The bloke's doing his best - when you stick an entry in, have some patience with the poor fella who's filing it along with 110 others...