Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:35 pm
Well, the forecast isn't exactly glorious for Saturday but at 3-6 degrees and possibly a bit wet its still probably going to be safer out there than last week's freezing weather - reports from Our Man With His Feet Sticking Out Of The Hedge suggest that there were some hazardous bits on the westerly route. So, we'll give it another go this week - plan to go west, reconsider if the weather's much worse than anticipated. 09:00 in the square, probably two groups, be there!

by AndyT Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:21 am
I'll be there!

Andy

by Paul W Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:23 am
Looks like il be working....again :(

by Sharpy Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:06 am
I will likely be there.!

by Fiona Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:35 pm
This is a good route for me as i can pedal straight back home to Selby, if/when i get dropped on the hills.

by mart66 Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 am
I might be a bit late. Just to check - this route goes down bishy rd, through bishopthorpe to Appleton Roebuck doesn't it? If late i will try and catch up.

Martin

by PhilBixby Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:14 am
Yup, that's the route!

by liam552 Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:26 pm
I'll be there.

by DamianE Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:52 pm
8)

After "press-on-near-the-end-gate" several weeks ago, am I allowed out now? :roll:

by mart66 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:01 pm
Your attendance would be most welcome, Damian. I reckon it's about time to start 'pressing on'. I think a lot of us start racing next month. Some have started already!

Martin

by Fiona Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:26 pm
Well that was hard work but very enjoyable. I spied a few speedy lads in the second group so i knew i was in for a real kicking....but all good training.

We started to split on the the climb to Thorner (expected really) but a big effort by Andy and Greg helped us to get back on to the front group.

I was really chuffed (and a little surprised) to still be there as we rolled into Aberford. I managed to hang on until Lotherton Hall, where, I'd like to blame stopping at the Junction and then not getting clipped in straight away as the reason i was dropped - it certainly didn't help, but i was on the ropes anyway and wouldn't have lasted much longer.

I was hoping the traffic lights in Sherburn would be kind to me - i caught sight of the group but the damn things changed to red just as i got there :roll:

Anyway, good ride, thanks everyone.

by PhilBixby Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:40 pm
As Fiona's already noted, even after sending the "brisker" group off, the "steadier" group was left containing RichD, RichT, Martin and a few others who were clearly in a mood to stretch their legs. Short, sharp turns kept the pace up on the outward leg and it wasn't until the lumpy bits past Thorner that it really started to split up. Seven of us eventually ended up off the front and apart from a brief slow-down to let Darren on ( :wink: ) progress was rapid, despite (or because of) I and a couple of others starting to miss turns on a regular basis. Sun on our backs from Sherburn onwards made it feel decidedly run-in-to-the-season, which was gooood. Average just over 20mph and Normalised Power 230W for the out-of-town 2hr30min. Many thanks to all involved. How was it for the other group?

I suggest we repeat these sort of rides for the remaining February Saturdays and then do a few weeks of faster work (laps at Bishopwood/Escrick) in March as a build up to the first road races of the year - does that sound okay?

by Sharpy Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:59 pm
Off prompt with the slightly quicker group. Pretty tidy on the way out and stayed together well with everyone doing their turn.

Having done quite a bot of cycling this week I was expecting to be in a world of hurt, on the flat was fine on the hills I was feeling it and was worried I would not survive.

Once we hit the lumpy road to Sherburn the pace picked up and we got our heads down, things got a bit ragged and turns were missed from pretty much everyone, but the group seemed to be largely intact.

Apologies for my final sprint up the hill over the A64.... it was not pretty and was probably a bit naughty. :oops:

Average speed was 20.8mph for the out of town bit.

Another good ride, I wont be out for a few weeks now as I am racing (Duathlon and cycle) but will be back in March I should think! :D

Cheers

Sharpy

by Cam B Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:47 pm
PhilBixby wrote:I suggest we repeat these sort of rides for the remaining February Saturdays and then do a few weeks of faster work (laps at Bishopwood/Escrick) in March as a build up to the first road races of the year - does that sound okay?

Sounds good Phil :)

by Broom Wagon Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:08 pm
Ah hem.....sorry for my attention seeking behaviour at the end.

I was off in the steady group but as usual got dropped on that little drag up to the A64. No one's fault but my own, but boy it's so frustrating and there were certainly a few under my breath expletives as I kept the group ahead in sight until the last small rises before Sherburn. Still I honestly think I just need a couple of kilos off or a few more Watts and that drag wouldn't be an issue - I just need to get on with it.

Still I put my head down and rode, along with another chap in a Clifton strip (sorry I don't know your name) so with taking a short cut by missing out the Bishopwood circuit the group caught us just after Stillingfleet, allowing for some silly behaviour on my part at the end.

Though that little drag is very frustrating I can't claim I didn't enjoy the ride because I did, especially with a bit of early spring sunshine - excellent fun.