Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:01 pm
Chatting in the cafe yesterday there was a good deal of enthusiasm for a ride to Tan Hill on the shortest Sunday again. Muzzy, Andy S, and Ian K were all eager so I'll commit to leading a ride again on 17/12.

Anybody else? The more the merrier!

It's 140 miles. Leave 0700. 2 Cafe strategy (Leyburn twice). Back in York ca. 1900 depending on conditions.

Expect first hour and the last three in the dark. We'll need to track the weather forecast carefully in the run up and be prepared to switch to the Saturday if necessary.

5 weeks to prepare, but we need to make sure we don't shred the clubrun in the process. I'll plan a few extensions to the rides over the next few weeks so that those wanting to can easily get a few extra miles in.

8)

by Arthur Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:48 pm
In my diary. I know I said I'd come last year, but I'll try harder this year!

Given the weather in August, are you sure it won't feel like an anticlimax in balmy December? :)
by mal Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:30 pm
I think I might just give that one a miss, a very enjoyable half that distance yesterday was perfectly adequate for me (and on top of which having to wait for me at every hill might just keep you away from home way past 19.00 hours). Thanks for the support - again.
Malcolm C.

by NickScull Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:39 pm
Sorry Rob, I won't have the fitness for this.

I might ride out to Masham with you, same as last year, so long as it is warmer than -7. Masham and back before lunch in December is good enough for me.

Nick

by MarkA Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:50 am
The other option would be a car assisted trip out to join the ride for the Leyburn loop.

That way the epic adventurers would have some support all the way round if Nick is offering to head the peloton out to Masham

I guess it depends on how much people want to keep moving in order to make it back at a sensible time

It wouldn't be much help if I came out to take part in the middle leg and actually slowed things down! Probably better to lead out with Nick.

On the positive side if we had some transport in Leyburn "the epics" could drop off unneeded kit e.g. lights / extra layers and pick up for the return leg. No point lugging extra stuff up all those hills

by Rob Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:45 pm
Thanks for the offers Mark. Not sure how useful the option of leaving stuff in Leyburn is as last year it was dark by the time of our return...
Hope you can join in at some point though.

We have 5 definite committed riders now and 3 "maybes".

The week before the big one on the 10th I have it in mind to steer the clubrun towards Driffield and any of us that want some extra miles in preparation can push on to Brid...