Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Darren N Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:41 pm
Hi everyone

At last week’s Clifton CC Committee meeting, we received the green light to go ahead with this year’s Cliftonite Magazine. If you thought last year’s version was good, wait ‘til you see what we have in store for this year’s blockbuster!

Now, it’s important to stress that the publication of the Cliftonite relies heavily, if not solely, on our members to submit articles about their cycling experiences in 2013. This includes topics such as:

Road Racing – any race series, the Clifton Road race, time trials, training trips abroad, attendance at Pro races, training tips, first time experiences, literally anything competitive which is held on tarmac.

MTB – Racing, NYMBO’s, social rides, weekends away, equipment, technical riding tips, downhills, anything in mud.

Social – club runs, challenge rides, epic sportives, memorable events, cycling trips abroad, anything that involves simultaneous cycling and chat.

Remember, everything qualifies as being interesting to someone, so never think your contribution won’t be appreciated. If you would like some help with ideas or article structure, I’m more than willing to help.

As you saw in last year’s version, colour photos bring the magazine to life, so please submit any photos you have, professional or otherwise.

Please send all submissions to the email address at cliftonite@cliftoncc.org. Any queries can be answered through this address too.

While the deadline for submissions probably won’t be until the end of September, it’s better to plan your submissions now rather than wait until the last minute. You can submit content at any time…our inbox is open 24x7.

The Cliftonite Team looks forward to hearing from you all!!

Thanks

Darren

by Darren N Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:28 am
Hi all

We’ve got to the business end of the season in Cliftonite terms and it’s time to start thinking seriously about getting this show together. The team are cranked up and ready to go – the only thing we need now is some articles!

We’re hoping to start finalising content by the end of September, which is only a couple of weeks’ time! Could I kindly request that all those who have promised or half-promised articles to please submit them to the Cliftonite address at cliftonite@cliftoncc.org. It should only take an hour or so of your time to throw together a page or two describing your experiences. Of course if you have any photos, even better! (We would prefer photos be sent as separate attachments rather than embedded in your articles.)

As a special request, if anyone has raced on York’s new cycling sports circuit, we would really appreciate you making a submission about your experience.

There is no limit to the number of articles we can publish. We would like a submission from anyone and everyone who thinks they may have something to write about. Please don’t think that your experience may not interest members, everything is noteworthy and as long as it’s cycling-related, it qualifies for inclusion.

To be honest, we’re a bit short on content this year so if you have a thought about something to write about, please take the time to draft a submission. Our members will love to hear from you.

Thanks for your help everyone,

Darren
by markdent Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:29 pm
Hi Darren,

Article sent via cliftonite.org on C2C in a day, with photo!

Mark

by Darren N Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:42 pm
Hey, thanks very much Mark for getting the ball rolling, you're a star!!

...we're eager for more folks, keep them coming!

by Darren N Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:27 am
Sorry people, me again:

Article Submission Deadline – SUNDAY 13TH OCTOBER 2013

Scoreboard Update – with 2 weeks to go:

No. of Articles promised by Clifton Members: 17
No. of Articles submitted to date: 4
Promise / Submission Ratio: 23.5%
DN Worry Factor (where 0% = Deckchairs, 100% = Entering Rehab): 75% - and rising.

Scoreboard Comments:
- I’m thinking of changing the name of the magazine to the ‘Clifton Notepad’ – nicely covered booklet filled with blank pages, should make a nice Christmas present :wink:
- Could those who promised articles please submit them prior to Deadline 13th Oct.
- If anyone at all is remotely thinking about submitting an article, please do so, we need them!
- If anyone else is thinking of asking me the question “Do you have enough articles?”, the answer is “No”.
- Specific Areas of Concern:
o Any article relating to road racing would bring enormous cheer!
o Anyone volunteering to write up the Edinburgh to York overnight Challenge series event would bring a bigger cheer.
o Any photos of members in Clifton Kit (doing anything!) should definitely be submitted for inclusion.

Please submit anything and everything to cliftonite@cliftoncc.org.

Thanks everyone. Further updates forthcoming.

Yours in anticipation,

Darren

by G. Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:20 pm
Darren N wrote:Sorry people, me again:
o Any photos of members in Clifton Kit (doing anything!) should definitely be submitted for inclusion.

That sounds like a challenge Darren!

by bernard turgoose Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:47 pm
Darren
I am currently putting a story together for the four day edinburgh - york social ride, for which we also have a good range of photos.
I am trying to work to your deadline, the first day is done another 3 to go,
Bernard

by IanH Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Dave C and I are putting an account of our French ride together should be with you before the deadline.

Are we there yet

by Darren N Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 pm
Thanks very much Bernard, sounds great! We really appreciate you making a contribution.

Ian: Thanks! Remember who owes you a free cafe lunch ;)

Greg: yes, all photos in Clifton kit are appreciated - deep sea diving, skydiving, clubbing, etc. - just remember it's a family mag :wink:

To everyone else, particularly those who unfortunately through no fault of their own may have missed the opportunity to put something back into the Club this year, I am your saviour!! I am offering you the chance to redeem yourself by making a contribution, however big or small, to enable you to enjoy a guilt-free end of season - how good's that!.

As always, email to cliftonite@cliftoncc.org.

:)

by Darren N Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:37 pm
7 days to go!!

Deadline 13th October, - next Sunday! Keep them coming.

Please send to: cliftonite@cliftoncc.org

Thanks

Darren

by Darren N Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:14 pm
OK, the last email from me.

There's 2 days left, incorporating one entire weekend, to finalise your articles for the Cliftonite. Many of you have promised articles and I'm hoping you will all deliver on those promises by the end of the weekend.

Please send your completed articles to cliftonite@cliftoncc.org. Please also send your photos as separate attachments, not embedded in the document.

I truly hope you can find some time on the weekend to make a submission.

I'll follow some of you up individually at the end of the weekend if I can.

Thanks heaps

Darren

by Darren N Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:46 pm
FINAL UPDATE:

Hi everyone,

I’m booked into hospital for an operation on my hand tomorrow which will have me confined to the DNS list for a couple of months – I’ve already booked an advance discount ticket on the K-Ride for Jan! Anyway, I thought I’d send out my final post while I can still type fast :wink:

This year’s Cliftonite Magazine is currently churning off the printing presses at GRG. The current plan is that it will be delivered back to our team hopefully by next Friday 18th Nov for distribution to members in the following week. If you don’t receive your copy by the end of November, please email cliftonite@cliftoncc.org. If there’s any change in this plan due to complications, we’ll let you know. This year, it’s one copy per home address. Also, if your name isn’t on the membership list, you won’t receive a copy.

I would like to offer a few thank you’s:

Firstly, a big thank you to our Club’s partners for supporting the project, namely York Cycleworks, Haxby Cycles, Fulford Cycles, Cycle Street and Big Bear Bikes, as well as British Cycling. The magazine could not have been published without their support.

Secondly, huge thanks also to those members who accepted the challenge of authorship and volunteered some fascinating articles. We are forever in your debt.

Thirdly from me, I’d like to thank the editorial team, including Michael C, Trevor J, Ros L and Jez A who this year produced a magazine which is bigger and better than ever before – more stories, more pics & more pages – a real blockbuster!

That’s it from me. Have a great lead up to Christmas & New Year! – don’t get too fat!…and I’ll see you all in 2014 for another sensational year with the Club.

:D

Darren

by mikeh Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:11 pm
Good luck Darren with the operation. Thanks for all the hard work on the Cliftonite and your posts and emails without which I'm sure the articles wouldn't have come in.

Is there any truth in the rumour that following your operation you wanted to change the name of the club magazine to 'Look, no hands'?

by G. Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:50 pm
I think he's already had the operation, Mike. Darren, I hope it's gone well?

by Darren N Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:29 am
Thanks Mike & Greg, yes op went well, right hand now deep in stitches and bandages. Now facing a week of daytime TV - which should make me desperate to get back on the bike earlier than planned! Left hand typing skills are nicely improving.

Still getting over the very sad news announced by Tullio yesterday, such a shame, puts minor ailments and people's complaints into perspective.

D.