Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by James Milner Thu May 23, 2019 12:41 pm
Following on from last year's successful 'away day' format we are proposing the following ride to take place on Saturday 8th June.

Starting in the city of Sheffield we head out into The Strines, to the north west of the city, on some fantastic smooth roads, the like of which are rarely found in this country. We then drop down past Ladybower resevoir into the Hope valley before looping round Edale and climbing Mam Nick. We then drop down Winnats Pass to Castleton then head south towards Tideswell. We can either take a lunch stop there or push on a few miles and stop at the cafe at Monsal Head, scene of many hill climb competitions. After that we continue south towards Bakewell and down to the village of Rowsley before tackling the climb of Rowsley Bar. With the end now in sight we will be heading north , back towards Sheffield and, after a day filled with climbing, finish with a much earned 10km descent back into the city.

The ride starts on Rustlings Road, Sheffield, S11 7AA at 9am. This is a quiet residential area right next to Endcliffe Park. From prior experience there is plenty of safe, free parking available on the street.

We hope a few of you can join us! More details nearer the time.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30061600
by bernard turgoose Sun May 26, 2019 9:00 am
Looks a very interesting route James, if I wasn’t going on holiday that weekend I would have tried to get some K riders along even if it would have been a separate group, getting out on new roads would have been nice. It’s a little big time since I rode from Hull to the Peak District on some of these roads.
by craigdabrown Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:16 pm
Unfortunately, we have decided to postpone the "Away Day" ride, from Sheffield and into the Peak District, until a later date.

The weather forecast isn't fantastic for tomorrow and we felt that conditions wouldn't do the ride justice.

Watch this space for a new date.