Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Jon G Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:17 am
Only 9 in the square for the Saturday rides, along with myself were Craig, Graham, John B, Richard, Claire, Ginny, mark B, and a customary late arrival from Dr Joe. :lol: Planned destination after some discussion was Hutton le hole via castle Howard and Appleton le moors. So it was with some disappointment that my confidence of the cafe been open was dented when we found itwell and truly closed. We knew it was closing before Christmas but didn’t know when it was reopening. After more discussion it was decided to head up surprise view and head to Kirkbymoorside in the hope we could find a suitable cafe with an area for some bikes. John B asked a local on arrival and we found a smallish but ok cafe on the high st with some room for bikesaround the side. An option in future perhaps for a bail out cafe in bad weather if heading out over the moors. Whilst queuing in the cafe Joe decided on a starter of a cheese and onion pasty obtained from Thomas the baker across the road :D . food and drink was ok however I think with caused the staff to go in to over drive on our arrival which was evident from confusion and stress. We returned through Welburn, slingsby and retraced the route back through castle Howard declining the suggestion of Terrington sheriff Hutton. Around 70 miles square to square so a good day out in January. Weather stayed dry for most however I got a soaking on my way home :(
by Rob Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:23 pm
With 80kph winds and sleet showers forecast, we changed the route for Rievaulx so that we could make a run for home if necessary. Turned out to be a good day, sunny morning and clear visibility, quiet roads. Civilised café stop watching the light change over the ruins. Rapid ride home, and it felt like we could freewheel all the way back from Crayke Castle. Thanks to AndrewL, AndyG and Steen for the company.