Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by craigdabrown Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:51 am
8 (GrahamR, MarkB, GrahamT, IanW, NeilS, Dr. Joe, IanH, and myself) in the Square on Saturday for an Inters ride to Millington via Middleton-on-the-Wolds.

We’d plagiarised a route from the Sunday gang and a strong tailwind on the outward leg, through Pocklington, Londesborough and Market Weighton, maybe gave a slightly optimistic indication regarding post-Christmas fitness levels as we certainly noticed it when we turned back into the wind and headed for Millington via Nunburnholme and Kilnwick Percy. A few minor mechanicals on that stretch when Neil’s crank arm came loose and GrahamR and I both punctured.

The Rambler’s Rest cafe was as popular and welcoming as ever and Dr. Joe used his bedside manner to charm some elderly ladies, who’d finished their lunch and were sitting chatting, into giving up their table.

Usual route home, we split into a couple of smaller groups so the guys who'd additional miles after York could press on and be home for a reasonable time. A punchy, 70 miles for me, with some great banter throughout the day and really nice to tackle sections that we don't often ride.
by Graham R Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:02 am
A good 70 miles on the road by the time I got home, thanks to Craig and Ian H who rode with me on the way back after the cafe stop, a mixed day felt good on the way out , once into the wind the pace dropped and I followed Joe's and Craigs wheel in the wind, a puncture at Nunburnholme and the day was about up for me, got to the cafe and after some food was feeling a little better, but I think the wind and possibly lack of miles did for me a good group and a reasonable pace and more miles in the legs.
Thanks again for the company and see you all soon.
by Rob Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:43 pm
The weather was even wilder on Sunday. Just 6 of us set out up Whafedale towards Otley, keeping to the lower ground. Muzzy and Jonny had to be back early, so returned via Norwood Edge and Bland Hill. Just left me, Andy, Andrew and Steen to absorb bacon in the Milk Bar Café. As farm animals were by now being blown past the window, we decided against the planned loop of Fewston and followed the others over Norwood. I don't think I've ever climbed Bland Hill on the big ring before, even with a number on my back.

Just under 120k door to door, but I think that was enough.