Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 am
Spring may finally be arriving and there were lots of riders out in the lanes this weekend. What did you get up to?

The Sunday Irregulars planned something a little different and met up at Thormanby for a Crossbike ride up into the Moors National Park. Steen crafted a bit of a mystery tour and there were many highlights for me - Kilburn Woods, The Forest Track from Newgate Bank to Bransdale, Rudland Rigg, a bridlepath from Coxwold to Husthwait along a high ridge past a lama field.... It was a long day in the saddle, we didn't arrive at the café in H le H until 3pm... but a great mix of high moorland cinder track, woodland single track, obscure bridleways and hidden valleys. Thanks to Steen for the 123km route and to AndyG, AndrewL and Jonny for company.

Next week it's the Dirty Riever 200k at Kielder.....
by craigdabrown Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:47 am
12 riders on the Inters ride to Castleton, 11 in the Square and we picked up NeilS at Strensall. Weather had taken a turn for the better and so there were some summer bikes and a bit of exposed flesh on show.

A Hovingham, Gillamoor, Blakey, Castleton and Rosedale route meant that people could select the climbing elements they wanted. We stayed as one group until Gillamoor, the only issue being a puncture for Graham at Fadmoor, where Nick headed to Hutton-le-Hole, Graham and I did Blakey Ridge and the rest chose Blakey Bank.

Lunch at the Old Chapel Tearoom in Castleton, the main group had picked up RobT, who’d been doing some hill reps of Blakey Bank. Nice cafe but service can sometimes be a bit slow and the girl serving me said she’d better warn the kitchen when I mentioned that there would be another 10 cyclists arriving. Don’t think it was specifically to do with the table manners of the Clifton Inters.

There had been some talk of tackling Caper Hill after lunch but time was somewhat against us and so we took the Fryup Dale route instead. The group split in two at the top with half deciding to climb Chimney Bank after Rosedale and half heading home via Appleton-le-Moors. We chanced upon Dr. Joe at the top of the Chimney, he’d set off early and done a monumental solo ride via Osmotherley and Glaisdale.

A speedy return via Hutton-le-Hole, Amotherby and Castle Howard with Rich putting in the usual big shifts on the front, despite having completed a 300 mile ride to Lincolnshire over the previous couple of days. 97 miles for me and really pleased to conquer Chimney Bank, having attempted it once before and failed. Lovely route into the Moors which offered plenty of scope, depending on how your climbing legs were.
by Jon G Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:26 pm
Not technically a weekend ride however been unable to make Saturdays ride to Castletown decided on my day off on Monday to embark on a solo ride on a similar route to Rosedale via Blakey bank and taking in Rosedale chimney for good measure on the way back. Strange to ride on a week day on such a long ride but roads were quiet on the whole and conditions ok albeit rather windy at times particularly on th moors :D . Tough not having anybody to share the work but I suppose it builds character :wink: . I was pleased to have got up both Blakey and the chimney in one ride but it’s only a small chunk of what the Fred Whitton offers :shock: but having commuted by bike Saturday and Sunday and not having fresh legs it was satisfying. Passed James M on the way back on strensall common heading out on his TT bike for a spin :D . Got back around 5.30pm with 119 miles on the clock at 15.4 average which I was happy with considering it was solo ride :D . Not sure at the moment whether I’ll be able to make this Saturday either :( so another ride like today could be the option some time next week.