Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:47 pm
It's been a difficult week ride, but I know we've all been trying. What did you manage?

Sunday gang got out, but the sleet was a bit unpleasant. The open fire in The Yorkshire Tea Rooms in Malton was too much to resist..... So we only bagged 85k. In some ways, a good day to be out, as at least it was quiet. But you can have too much of a good thing...
by craigdabrown Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:26 pm
JohnB, GrahamT, NickM and myself in the Square on Saturday for whatever ride was going to be safely achievable. As it happened, the road conditions were really good and, although the temperature didn't get above freezing all day, it only really felt cold when we initially set off and after the cafe stop.

We decided that Knaresborough was a sensible destination and reached it in quick time via Aldwark Bridge and Arkendale, sitting down to lunch in the Black Mulberry cafe after 25 miles and before 11:30am. Excellent fayre and prompt service, although we weren't sure if that was down to most of the staff being Nick's pupils.

Usual route back via Little Ribston and Cowthorpe, John and Nick headed for home around Rufforth while Graham and I decided to do an extra loop via Wighill and Tadcaster.

62 miles by the end, I'd definitely have settled for that when I left the house, on what has to be the most traffic-free Saturday ride I've ever had on, predominantly, main roads. Thanks to Nick, Graham and John for turning up at the Square and making the ride a much more pleasant experience than I'd expected.