Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 am
Numbers increasing on Sundays, there were 8 of us, and we briefly became about 30 when we were swept up by the front group of the Reliability. Nice mix of quiet lanes out to Masham, with some lumps and bumps in places. Distance slightly further than advertised, but nobody appeared to mind.

Fewston this week. My agents tell me the Farm Shop café is open again. Should be about 120km. No heroics. Expect to be back well before dark, but as ever at this time of year, strap on a couple of LEDs.

See you in The Square at 0900.
by Rob Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:41 pm
I've had a couple of questions about the accessibility of the Sunday rides at the moment. We're looking at 120k (+/- 10%), 25.5kph (+/- 3%), some hills, no mountains, nobody consciously left behind. You'll need to ride in the wheels, if you hang off the back all the time we'll end up losing you. And if you keep sprinting off, you're liable to lose us too. If you've been riding 3 or 4 hours regularly, then you'll be fine.

Maybe someone else whose been out in the last few weeks would like to add to this?

R
by craigdabrown Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:21 am
I joined the Sunday ride on the last day of December 2017 for a ride to Beverley. There were 6 of us and I kinda knew most of the guys by name but don’t ride with them very often, normally opting for one of the Saturday rides where, I’d say, I’m one of the stronger K-Riders but weaker A-Riders.

We’d done a 50 mile ride to Pocklington, in cold, slushy conditions the day before but the Sunday weather forecast was great with bright, sunny conditions and clear roads. There was quite a strong wind which looked like it would assist us on the way out but be a bit of a pain coming back.

We set off at a pace where I felt comfortable but knew I was working, if you know what I mean. The key thing is that the pace is very consistent, with everyone taking regular turns at the front, frequent rotations and staying in tight formation. Being used to the Saturday rides, where the greater numbers mean that the pace is a bit more start/stop, due to the wider range of fitness levels and rider strengths and weaknesses, the constant pedaling did take a bit of getting used to.

The only climb of the day came just after Pocklington and I took it a bit steadier than the rest of the guys but there was never a real gap and Rob kindly rode at my pace. Given the conditions the day before, I’d erred on the side of caution and probably worn too many layers. So I was overheating a bit, and lost the wheel in front, on the main road into Beverley when the guys singled out for safety and the pace increased slightly. They quickly realised they’d dropped me though and we were soon back together as a group.

Velo cafe in Beverley is always pretty decent and we had a good laugh over lunch. I discarded a layer of clothing after the cafe stop and even an immediate puncture didn’t prove much of a hindrance, although there was a bit of “Call that a pump, this is a pump” banter aimed in my direction. I did fear that the strong headwind might make the return leg a bit of a battle but that was where the tight riding formation and consistent pace came into its own and I really enjoyed the ride back.

At the end, we’d done 85 miles and averaged 17 mph in lovely winter conditions with a tailwind on the way out and a headwind on the way back. Apart from being caught out on that one section just before Beverley I felt pretty comfortable with the pace all day. As I mentioned, the riding style is different to the Saturday rides but something we should really all aspire to and if you feel comfortable with the pace and distances on those then you should be fine and don’t be afraid to ask the guys on the front to knock one off if you feel a gap developing, they really are a friendly bunch.
by Dr Dave Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:15 pm
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the idea that maintaining a close bunch facilitates steady progress. Closing the gaps and everyone taking a turn maintains group cohesion. Saturday riders are probably more variable in fitness but I think that group riding discipline is also less in evidence - at both ends of the Peloton ;)

Keep pedalling!
by Graham R Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:59 pm
I and my son Graham went out a couple of weeks ago the pace out was faster than usual K ride but I was enjoying it, got to Pocklington no problem but as soon as we started climbing the group pulled away , not a problem as I was expecting a tougher day, but once we turned for home back towards Millington it was head on gale and a bit of much for me, we let the group go and we made our own way back, freindly bunch and I will be back for more , more intake of food may have helped after doing 70 miles on Saturday with the K ride. I like the distance the Sunday bunch ride maybe the pace was too much that day or just tired legs.A full Sunday roast later helped the recovery.

Graham R
by Steen Berg Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 pm
I stepped over from the K ride a few years ago due to work commitments on a Saturday. It was during the winter when the distances are shorter. Its a good time to try the Sunday Club run if your courious.
Seems the worst that can happen is you will earn your Sunday Roast.

Steen