Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:07 pm
It's been quite a few months. Firstly we (Claire, Siobhan and I) were sat at breakfast in the Premier Inn after the London Six with World Champions and Olympic Gold Medal winners, then I shook the hand of a knight of the realm at the Clifton dinner. Today I got to ride with three past winners of the Clifton Hill Climb. I was quite star-struck.

6 of us in the Square this morning. Great conditions for a long winter ride. Went clockwise to How Stein for a change via Brimham Rocks and back over Jordans. Put a few little finesses in the route to keep us on the quietest lanes. AndrewL only wanted 100k today and turned off at Burton leonard, but the rest of us stayed the course. Hooky, Sharpy and Muzzy are evidently somewhat stronger than me and Andy (at this or any moment, probably) but have the experience to judge the pace to keep the group together. We even crested Jordans as one and didn't even need a foot down.

Highlight of the ride were the views in Nidderdale, the low winter sun picking ut the contours brilliantly. A good to be alive sort of day and good to remember that cycling is all about freedom.

Scarborough next week for Xmas dinner. We'll probably set off 30 mins earlier than usual, but I'll confirm mid week.
by Jon G Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:06 pm
8 out on the A ride on Saturday to Hutton le Hole, myself along with Dr Dave, Ian H, James, Graham, Kev N, John B, Joe. Out through castle howard, 'Joes' hedge (AKA East Ness), Appleton le Moors etc. Slightly shortened route due to Dave's early puncture on the way out. Alot of melting snow at the sides of the road made for some filthy riding. Wasn't too cold if you kept moving which we managed to do with some decent group riding with just an odd split. we met Ian W in cafe which was quite full but there was still room for our group. welcome stop in the warm before venturing out again. was glad of the slight climb out off HLH to get warm but we let Dave and James go ahead which left 6 of us to ride as a group until we bumped in Dave again at Amotherby with his second flat. no sooner was that fixed we found james at the bottom of the hill battling with his own flat tyre due to split in the side wall. it was slowly getting dark on our return to York when everybody went their separate ways with about 70 miles on the clock. Good ride, thanks chaps. :D