Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Dr Dave Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:48 am
Following the trip to the Alps last June we are planning a similar week in the Pyrenees for the week in June 2018. We will be staying at Bareges on the Col du Tourmalet and will be riding many of the classic Tour de France Cols: The Tourmalet, Aspin, Aubisque/Soulor, Hautacam, Luz Ardiden, Cauterets, Spandelles and a few other possiblilities.
There is also a wealth of walking routes locally so a day or two off the bike is always an option.
Cost of accommodation in a local friendly guest-house is £395 for half-board. Flights likely to be from Stansted to Lourdes at £60 each way plus bike baggage supplement. Transfers to and from Lourdes are £15 each way.
People can cycle at their own pace, choose their own routes and form various groups depending on preferences so all abilities can be catered for - although being a mountainous region some climbing is inevitable :D
If anyone is interested in joining us can they post in this thread. I'll need to take a deposit in a few weeks time to secure the accommodation - flight schedules are not yet finalised but should be before too long.
Last edited by Dr Dave on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keep pedalling!
by Dr Dave Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm
Just wanting to bump this and advise that I will need to update the accommodation owners of likely numbers shortly. Currently we have about 7 definites and a few probables. Those who came on this year's trip will attest to the good time we had and I would emphasise that the trip isn't restricted to any sub-set of members or abilities (although knowing that a cycling holiday is booked does help motivation to get fit over the winter :wink: ).

Ryanair are now showing a flight to Lourdes on xxx June returning on the xxx so it would be good to get this booked up once folk are able to confirm their participation :D

Again anyone wanting more information is welcome to PM me or phone for a chat - 07786263064 :D
Last edited by Dr Dave on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keep pedalling!
by Dr Dave Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:09 pm
Hi Guys, just an update on progress

As we did last time, we have set up a WhatsApp group for holiday communications to avoid spamming the discussion board and keep things private. I will try and channel holiday communications via Whatsapp from now on if that is OK :D

I'll post the bank account details for the deposit on the WhatsApp group for privacy - the deposit is 50% of the accommodation, evening meals and transfers - hence £200. The balance is due 8 weeks before we travel.

The flight you need to book is the 8am Ryanair flight from Stansted to Lourdes. The return flight leaves at 11.25. Current cost is £49.99 each way for the passenger - being Ryanair the bike bag is unfortunately £60 each way. I have booked :)

I know James is planning to make his own transport arrangements as he is going to incorporate the trip with longer stay in France- if others want to do likewise it's not a problem.

Cheers!

Keep pedalling!
by Dr Dave Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 am
Just a heads-up to say that we have 12 confirmed members currently signed up to travel. The absolute maximum is likely to be around 18 so if there are any others considering coming it might be wise to let me know sooner rather than later in case either the accommodation or flight gets booked up.

Cheers!

Keep pedalling!