Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:45 pm
Well, Ben G and I were on the start line this morning plus Tim (in VC York kit) and John S (in Cycleworks kit) so there was a reasonable contingent from the old firm, albeit some in disguise :wink:

I'd chosen Seacroft as my comeback race following my year of cardiac-prompted de-training, on the basis that I'd ridden it for many consecutive years and reliably finished in the bunch. Having remembered to put the clocks forward, and arriving to blue skies, the signs were good. However, it was not to be - halfway round the second lap my legs abruptly gave up; I suspect due to having done nothing this intense for much more than twenty minutes for the past twelve months, and certainly not 26mph average. It was just like those first races more than ten years back; I'd kind of hoped I wouldn't be starting all over, but suspect I am. I'm doing the EYRRL handicap series which is probably as good a way as any back in, and will enter a few more events as training and see where it goes. How was it for the rest of you?

Annoyingly, having at least stayed upright while on two wheels, on the way home I fell on a pile of concrete rubble while dropping drawings in to a building site, gashing both legs and banging up a knee and an elbow. Life eh? It's just hard knocks of one sort or another... :roll:
by Cam B Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:10 pm
It's great to hear you getting out again Phil. That race is always lightening quick.....It won't take you too long to find those race legs I'm sure.....Sorry to hear about your mishap :o
by mart66 Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:53 pm
Good to read that you're racing again, Phil. Hopefully, it won't be long until Cam is on the start line with you.

I think John got caught up in the crash before the sprint unfortunately.

Cheers
by bgibs Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:32 pm
Good to see you at the race Phil, sorry to hear it didn't end too well.

I managed to make a fairly late attack with about 1km to go, just avoiding a nasty pile up that seemed to take out a good proportion of the field. Ended up just getting caught on the line and finished 4th.

Tried my legs in the 2/3 in the afternoon as well and ended up caught behind another crash about 6 laps in. After chasing back on my legs had died and managed to hold on for another lap before finding myself alone out the back.