Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Danders Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:38 pm
Hi Chris

Great news. The other guys are undecided on what to when to travel and where to stay, we'll speak tomorrow night. As for transport - I'm heading through, leaving York about 1600 on Friday and coming back late Sunday. Not sure that you want a lift in the back of my van, but Phil and Steve and I will check on the other options and give you a text.

Have great wedding!

David
by Phil Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:02 am
Hi Chris, if the weather is ok I will be going down on Saturday morning and coming back on Sunday. possibly camping. so I can give you and Steve a lift . will finalize arrangements mid week.
by Danders Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:59 pm
Ok - so we've got 4 confirmed MTB'rs going through this weekend. And a jogger

I've booked place for meal on Saturday night for the 5 of us

http://www.merienda.co.uk

(I've checked Phil - they do Beer and Olives)

Suggest we leave from the Castlerigg FARM campsite around 10am (ish).

We'll likely do the "Borrowdale Bash", bash it out and return to campsite for tent pitching, crisp eating, beer drinking etc, then wander into town for dinner

If there are anymore wanting to come - then post it here!
by Danders Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:14 pm
Hi Chris, thanks for the Bump.

So, weekend of the 3rd/4th. We'll take a ride in Coniston area and I think Coniston might make a good place to stay. There are plenty of ride options in the area and I'm going to suggest that we hold back on making a decision on exactly what we do until closer to the time. Some rides take us up to around 600metres above sea level, others will keep us sheltered in the forest - some on ye-olde tracks, others on modern purpose built stuff. However, if you're reading this and wondering which bike to take - one with suspension and gears would be wise.

Historically we've knocked out 25 to 35miles, which when using the patented Lake District muplitplier of 1.6 makes these fairly long in the 'standard mile' measure. So, something of that nature.

Its likely to be chilly in the evening so I've booked into a campsite that has a plug in point for the camper electrics (can get the heater on). I'm staying at the pier cottage campsite: http://www.piercottageconiston.co.uk/caravanpark.html but it doesn't take tents.

Post it here if you're thinking of coming. As usual I'll book somewhere local for us to have pub meal on the Saturday night.

D
by Chris Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:14 am
Don't forget.... the Rugby (Eng vs. Aus) is on on the Saturday! (20:00) :D

Chirs
by Danders Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:36 am
I have to say that these trips to the lakes this year has revealed some of the best biking I've done since I started out on a Raleigh Maverick back in 1992. For reference, the square bounded by the Langdales, Ambleside, Windermere and Conniston must contain the best stuff in the world.

Our final trip to the Lakes is 7 & 8th November. Ive booked accommodation in Glen Rydding for the friday and saturday and am ready to ride saturday and sunday. What we ride is pretty weather dependent, and dependent of the skills of those who come along. Plenty of routes nearby, and we can use our cars/vans to travel a bit further afield if we need shelter in the trees.

Feel free to get it touch with me via a PM, or post it here if you're thinking of coming

cheers

David