Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by lugster77 Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 pm
Are there any downhillers in Clifton? Quite fancy giving it a bash (nothing too serious) and any advice welcome! Any local places to ride?
Cheers
Andy

by anotherpaul Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 pm
Hey Andy
I don't do downhilling anymore but a few places to try that are reasonably local are; Silton (near Northallerton), Carlton Bank (near Stokesley) and Hamsterley forest (best of all).
I think you need a full face helmet to ride Hamsterley and you have to pay to ride the downhill tracks, but there's a huge choice (some with huge drops) and they do uplift days from time to time.

Good luck! :)

by Paul meillo Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:29 pm
I sold my big bike about 2 years ago but the places I used to ride were Silton woods ,a gap jump has been built in the top section last year ,which I think spoils the track a bit.
Stainburn ,on the other side of the road there are 3 different dh options.
There are some races coming at Ramsgill, Farmer Johns near Stockport and in Sept the 121 race at Hamsterley.

by Paul meillo Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:12 pm
There is a dh track of sorts at Yearsley woods with a steep top section and a tight rooty lower section .
If you get into it Cwn Carn or Langollen in Wales, worth a go.
The negative about dh on a dh bike is it does nothing for your fitness.

by lugster77 Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 pm
Great stuff cheers.
I knew about hamsterley (got a full facer) and assumed there must be some stuff at stainburn. Silton is a surprise though! Lived in Northallerton for 20 years and never heard anything haha. I know there's a new private members/partnership type thing being built in todmorden due to open sept too. Spend a fair chunk of time up in edinburgh so will have to get to inners. Think I'll try a few things on my orange before I take the plunge and pull the trigger on a new bike, although my dear wife has given the green light for a purchase lol. Thanks gents