Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by willowtrousers Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:32 pm
Hi folks,
Having spent too much time on the couch this year I am struggling to find the will to get out.

So I was wondering what drives you to get out rain or shine?

by anotherpaul Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:00 pm
Great question!
I think we all struggle with motivation from time to time... Well I knowI certainly do anyway!
I have two methods for tackling this:

Pick a great day and go and do one of your favourite rides.
    If that doesn't work sign up for a challenging (but not too stupid) event that you'll have to do some proper training for!

Would be interested to hear what other people do!?

by SimonW Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:23 am
Motivation For me!

1.I agree with Paul, a challenge is a must, a race or even a challenging cycling holiday will do.
2. Endorphins...yer baby... They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during exercise, excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food, love and orgasm, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being.
3.New biking toys :D
4.The unbeleviable rubbish on TV!
5.Buddys who kick your ass when you are been slack

Willow - consider your ass kicked, see you on the next club run 8)

by willowtrousers Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:11 am
:shock: ouch!

Great answers thanks. I agree, goals and targets are the key. Time to pick some...
by Alan Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:12 pm
Several of us have ridden regularly on Wednesday nights right through what must have been one of the worst winters ever. I think that what motivated us was just getting into the routine of doing it plus knowing that other people were going to come. If the momentum stopped the whole thing would fall apart and you would let others down. Its not complicated.
Alan R

by Melly Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:25 pm
Spend money on race fees and get dropped very quickly has worked for me :-))

by Debs Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:45 am
I agree with Alan - getting in to a routine really helps. Riding throughout the winter months has been great for maintaining fitness meaning that you can really enjoy summer riding.

Equally there's something to be said for signing up for a challenge or event and having that as your main focus...but then I always seem to suffer from post-event burnout as I don't necessarily take a sensible approach.

Do what makes you smile and then it all falls into place :)

by SteveW Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:38 pm
Chris,

An interesting thread ! I agree with the comments above, particularly relating to the Wednesday evening rides we managed to keep going through the winter. I appreciate not everyone can make the timing, but if you can, and want to share lifts, let me know.

Another good motivator is actually posting that you will come - this means there is little chance of backing out at the last minute when you see a little dark cloud outside, or 'Mr Can't Be Bothered' taps on your shoulder before you go !

And don't forget - the more riding you do, and the fitter you become, the more you enjoy it !

Steve W

by willowtrousers Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:40 am
Great stuff guys, thanks.

That's a brilliant effort to keep up the midweek riding through the winter, hats off to all of you.

It is the regular riding I am missing, sadly work keeps getting in the way!