Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Melly Sun May 19, 2013 5:28 pm
Thoughts from the more experienced mountain bikers welcome, I am considering the purchase of a Whyte mountain bike, Fraz who's advice has always been invaluable believes that 26" bikes will very soon be a thing of the past and that 29" is the only sensible way to go now. Another plus side of the 29er is that a set of disk braked 700c wheels are available as an extra for £199, so 2 bikes for the price of 1 :-)). Your views please ??

http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 10&xSec=68

http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 9&xSec=104

by SimonW Mon May 20, 2013 10:46 am
What about 27.5"?

:lol:

by anotherpaul Mon May 20, 2013 4:52 pm
I've got both 26" and 29" and like them both, but for different reasons... My 29er is damned quick once you've got it up to speed, but my 26" bike feels a little more nimble and is easier to throw around.
Also depends on your height and how you want to ride. As Simon mentioned 27.5 is another option...

I'd test ride a few a see what suits!

Paul

by SteveW Thu May 23, 2013 8:26 pm
Hi Melly,

This is a debate that is going to continue across the MTB world for a long time, I think !

I don't have a 29", but having ridden with a few that do, and it seems to me that if you're a bigger rider, or you like to ride fast and not twisting, technical trails, then 29" is an advantage. If you're stop/starting a lot, then the extra weight in the larger wheels/tyres can be tiresome. But if you're maintaining a speed for reasonable distances, the extra weight around the rims can give extra momentum and become an advantage.

Keep us posted as to how you get on !

Steve

by Melly Fri May 24, 2013 9:05 pm
Thanks for the replies folks, i have a low end Norco Bushpilot 26 " of a vintage im not sure of as i bought it 2nd hand, im only a short arse and coming from the road i would prefer to ride the less technical/faster trail type of ride but who knows until ive given it a go. The Whyte range appears to be a beautiful and very well produced bike but quite expensive, but it appears you get what you pay for. I will probably come out first on the norco before i make a rash investment :-))

by Cavegiant Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 am
Bit of a late response, but as I serially demo bikes I get to try out all the latest fads... and if anyone has seen my bike I tend to buy them too.

The only real differences I have noticed with 29ers vs 26ers is 29ers have much better traction in the corners and lose less speed when the ground gets choppy.

The trade off is it punishes poor turning technique, and they are harder to pull tricks on in the air. I originally thought it was due to me being huge, but wifey is 5'6 and skinny and can ride a lot faster on technical terrain on a 120mm 29er than her 150mm 26.

I have also demoed a few 650b and they just seem to be the worst of both worlds.

by Mr Marmite Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 pm
Hi Simon,

Just been reading the mountain bike magazine in the back they are selling 2012 Whyte 20c for £1499..... good deal that! Try www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk

Tried some bikes the other week and still prefer riding 26ers I found them more fun than the 29ers, the 26 just feel more lively, jumps better too, so for me personally unless I fine a really fun 29er I may stick to riding the 26....... think its a case if each to there own!

Adam

by Cavegiant Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 am
Hi Adam,

If you like 29ers for tricks the ones that have stood out are:

Niner RIP9
Niner WFO - Mine
Santa Cruz tallboy LT (with a good fork, some demo with the fox 34 and yeurgh)
The Specialized stumpjumper 29 and Enduro should be good too but still not ridden.

To get a 29er fun in the air you really need to keep wheel weight down.
I use carbon Rims and top Schwalbe tyres. It makes a huge difference.

The tallboy was best for tricks and felt weightless (as expected at that price) The Niners pedalled better and felt stronger (have had mine down the fort william world cup DH).

by Mr Marmite Fri May 31, 2013 6:03 pm
Cav,

I tired a Carbon framed 29er no idea on the tyres, think the rims were alloy! Just didnt feel as fun for me, it would be nice to try some different bikes but its where the pennies start to get tight for the bikes I really want...

Will have to keep trying that lottery!

Thanks for the info though....

Adam

by Melly Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:28 pm
Thanks everybody for your thoughts and input, especially those who have pm'd, I can honestly say im no nearer a decision than I was at the start and have yet to sit on or ride a 29er in my size. I think the plan is to get out, ride the 26" i bought 2nd hand and overhauled and then try and get some test rides on a 29er. Very much buried and training for the RR season at the moment, but will try and fit in some club rides to break up the training and still get a tough work out (im not under any illusion that this is an easy day out!!)

Next question, the bike i have has cheapo 26 * 1.95 tyres, what would your recomendations be for Trail/club type riding bearing in mind I would drive to events/rides and I dont want to invest a fortune in tyres, I did buy 2 of these http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCRRAW/sc ... wired_tyre but my order was knocked back as they had quarenteened the stock ?? Cheers Melly

by Mr Marmite Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:09 pm
Im Maxxis all the way, they seam to work really well for me.

On the front I have a High Roller 2.35 (I think) and the rear is a Crossmark 2.10.

Tyres are an odd thing on MTB, if you thinking tread wise some people run tyres in the winter with hardly any tread to them an others run ones that have enough treat to climb a frozen waterfall, it depends how you like to ride loose and fast or slow and grippy.....