Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Karl M Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:23 pm
Hello all,

For this Sunday's club ride, thought we could meet at the Hole of Horcum car park at 10:00am. It’s just under an hour’s drive from York and car parking is only £2.

The Steady group will ride through Langdale Forest on technical singletrack, narrow bridleways and gravel tracks. The route is well-drained.
For a Fast group ride- longer and more technical- a route has been arranged and map available for those who'd like to ride it.

After 2.5 hours cycling, lunch can be at a tiny 17th Century pub called The Moorcock Inn at Langdale End. Followed by another 1.5 hours cycling back to the car, to be home by 4ish

The pub’s Sunday Roast meal is £7. Much less for their roast beef or chicken sandwich. Or bring your own food and just have a cuppa. The cycling afterwards is "pint-friendly." :wink:

Please post if you have any queries or to arrange lifts.
Oh and it's set to be a little warmer for Sunday.
:D
Last edited by Karl M on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Karl M Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:05 pm
Update- If you’re coming, please could you post below.

The reason for asking is because if fewer than 4 post to confirm, it would perhaps be best if we postpone this ride until the weather gets warmer and more of us can enjoy it.
Here's the weather on Sunday.

Also, the small pub wants an idea of numbers coming, to know if they should buy in a bit more food!
Thanks for reading.
8)

by Mr Marmite Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 pm
Hey Karl,

Sorry I cannot make it this weekend due to other commitments, shame really as I like the Hole of Horcum ride..... it definitely wont be as hot as last years ride at the peak of our summer!

See you all on the 24th!

Adam

by Karl M Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 pm
Due to popular demand this ride has been cancelled. :shock:
:)

Unfortunately, the weather forecast for Sunday is heavy rain followed by lightning. So having got nicely soaked, we would've become good lightning conductors on the open moors!
If you’re still not deterred, whilst reccy’ing the route last Sunday in similar conditions (windy 3C), my front mech kept freezing with ice into one gear.
Best to reschedule this for later.

Newcomers- please don’t be discouraged. When things warm up a bit, we’ll have 5-10 in each group on these Sunday rides.
Simon’s leading a ride next Sunday so let’s try then.
:D

by Dr Joe Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:52 pm
Hi Karl

Just about the ride you mentioned next Sunday for beginners, i am interested (knee permitting ofcourse )could you let me know if its still on and if its somewhere other than mentioned above; where would the meet point be?

regards

Joe

P.S am SO gutted i couldn't carry on the rest of the way with you guys, sounds like you had one hell of a ride.