Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by johnr9_2000 Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:20 pm
Hi all,

I am a new member and i'm keen to take up some MTB rides asap. I got a new bike for xmas and i'm not really testing it enough on the daily commute. i have done a fair amount of mountain biking in the past, maybe longer ago than i'd like to admit but i felt more than capable on recent trips to dalby (with my old, too small bike).

i'm not really sure how the club runs but if its possible to turn up to any local rides and get going then that would be great. i have a car that i share with the mrs and a bike rack for 3 bikes and i'd be happy to help with lifts.

i'm free most weekends and i'd be really keen to take a weekend trip away when i'm more experienced. if theres any rides going on that you think would suit me, then i'd appreciate it if you could get in touch.

thanks very much,

john

by cgray Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:03 pm
Hi John,

I am hoping to join soon, and it would be great to car share, and hlpe with fuel costs.

Where do you live mate?

Thanks
Chris

by johnr9_2000 Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:32 pm
h there chris,

no worries, i live in the leeman road area of york. if i hear of any rides going on i'll let you know.

john

by cgray Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 pm
nice one mate,

I live near Tesco Clifton Moor. However at the moment my bike is in bits having its winter service done. I hope to have it back together soon. I had the bike 7 years so its doing well. I hope next year I will get a new bike

by johnr9_2000 Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm
well it'll be great to get it back on the road (off road). there a few night rides, on wedbnesdays and then there'll hopefully be some sunday and weekend rides coming up in the future. i'lllet you know if im planning on going on any. might just need to get some night gear first.

john

by cgray Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 pm
Cheers John,

I will let you know when I put the bike back to together.

by Tullio Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:57 pm
Welcome - both of you.

:D

by SteveW Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:05 pm
Hi guys,

It's great to see some new interested bikers - welcome to you both. I work shifts and can't always get out when I'd like at weekends, but if you keep an eye on this forum you'll see rides that people are planning. We never leave anyone behind, and you'll hopefully find we're a friendly bunch who are always looking to improve !

The snow has stopped our Wednesday evening rides temporarily, but we'll soon be out again. If you'd rather not do the night rides until it gets lighter (and warmer), there are various rides on at the weekends.

Hope to see you both soon,

Steve W

by johnr9_2000 Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:55 pm
thank you tulio and steve w.

another member, karl, was kind enough to pm me with some info on the wednesday and weekend rides. just for now im working out whether it is worth the investment in some additional night time gear to take on the wednesday rides or just try the weekend rides and wait until the light evenings come in. we'll see.

looking forward to getting out on a weekend ride soon and hopefully i'll catch you both then.

john

by cayman Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 pm
Hi Guys

I can recommend the wednesday night rides, I joined mid last year and did alot of the mid week rides, great fun and a real decent set of people, however with work commitments I have missed a few of the recent ones.
but will be back soon !

(Im the one who is always at the back !)

ian

by johnr9_2000 Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:49 am
Thanks Ian,

I'm liking forward to starting the mid week rides. It'd be something to look forward Tonkin the middle if the week and break it up a bit. I'll keep a look out for one when it gets a bit lighter. See you there.

by Cavegiant Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:31 pm
Hi,

I also live on Leeman Road and am up for biking.

Am a bit out of practice since car got taken out by the flood in October, and still waiting for a new one (no bike rack = no mountain biking).

I am on shifts so available for riding mornings every other week, and if you have room for wifeys bike, then the weekend too.

Peter

by cgray Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 pm
Hey guys,

I joined Clifton Cycles now. I just got to put my bike back together. If you have a car guys, I will pay towards petrol, and cups of tea :)

Also, not sure of you do, but I service my own mountain bike, so if you guys are short on tools etc... let me know and we can help each other.

Thanks
Chris

by johnr9_2000 Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:53 pm
Hi guys,

Glad to hear there's lots of others out there keen to get out riding. Not seen anything organised on the weekends yet but if be interested to know if anyone is keen to get out on a sat or Sun morning for a trip to dalby? Maybe around 8am or so?

John

by SteveW Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:22 pm
Hi guys,

Just posted for a ride tomorrow, Sat 16th if anyone's interested - see seaparate post.

Steve W