Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by anotherpaul Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:47 am
Hello All

I'd planned to lead the club ride this Sunday but my Sister is now paying an unexpected visit from France, so I'm really sorry but I'm not going to be able to make it.
I wondered if anyone else fancied leading this one? I've got a .GPX file of the route (a really nice 25 miles in the North Yorkshire moors), which makes finding your way a lot easier!

Cheers.
Paul

by HannahW Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:58 pm
Hi all,

I'm down to be leading the "steady" group - meeting at Carlton Bank at 10:30 (I've never been so I'm hoping that this is in fact a place where we can meet - someone will correct me if I'm wrong) we're going to do Scotty's ride.

I've never led a ride before so please be nice to me :oops: I'm also hoping that someone will lead a ride for the racing snakes but if noone pipes up you are welcome to join me (if you are happy to ride slowly!!)

Please post if you are coming

Hannah :D

by anotherpaul Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 pm
Cheers Hannah and I'm really sorry that I can't make it!
There's a car park at the top of Carlton Bank and there's also a cafe there. For directions type 'Lord Stones Cafe, Middlesbrough' into google maps.

It's probably a good idea to take some food with you as there isn't really anywhere to stop on route, but hopefully you'll make it back before the cafe shuts! :)

Cheers.
Paul

by StephF Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 am
Steve Wilson has volunteered to lead the faster ride on Sunday!

by jayw Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:37 pm
I'll be there not sure about Sarah as yet.

by jayw Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 am
Sarahs coming now, but if this weather keeps up think we all should take life Jackets :lol:

by HannahW Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 am
As I write this I'm looking out at what looks like a waterfall pouring off one of the school buildings and thinking I'm really not up for what could turn into Mayhem II (for those who weren't there, it was a little bit muddy - see photos posted by Phil Harrison in the Mayhem thread!)

So:
Jay - are you with Steve or me?

At the moment I know I have one confirmed, if it rains tomorrow like it is today then its likely I will cancel/postpone the steady ride (unless someone has been up middlesborough way and reports that they are experiencing tropical weather :lol: ) or do something closer to home in the interests of wanting to do a ride we can actually ride.

If anyone else is intending to come on my ride please post

Also: Steve - what do you think (am i just being a 'girl')?!

H

by jayw Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:27 am
Hi Hannah
I was thinking of just doing a steady ride in your group.

by HannahW Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:34 am
Cool. Lets keep an eye on the forecast and be intouch.

by Karl M Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 am
(Edited for convenience).
Themeeting car park is here, beside Lord Stones Café.
Although Lord Stones Café itself is closed until further notice, you could try The Buck Inn just 3km down the road in Chop Gate village.
http://www.the-buck-inn.co.uk/index.php

Two useful links for local weather forecasts:
Stokesley: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2636830
Thirsk: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/thirsk_forecast_weather.html

(Personally cannot make it- too ill. Sorry for inconveniencing anyone.
Hope you enjoy it if you decide to go; a route chosen by Paul will be a good ’un).
:D
Last edited by Karl M on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

by HannahW Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:22 pm
That is the meeting place (apologies for lack of clarity)
Bring food
Bring money for pub
Keep eye on forum, just incase
and please leave all contagious germs at home :wink:

by SteveW Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:57 pm
Hi all,
Just to confirm I will lead the faster group on Sunday. Thanks to Paul for the route plan - looks good !
Meet at 1030 at either Lord Stones Cafe (closed, but the car park MAY be accessible...), or if not then just west of the cafe at the roadside at the top of Carlton Bank. OS ref NZ52256 03016.
The fast route is around 25 miles of mixed trail riding - should mostly be firm terrain, even in the wet !
Bring food for the ride, and as suggested in earlier replies, Chop Gate has good food at the pub for afterwards.
WEATHER - As you may have noticed, its a little damp around the country...! Hannah and I will check the forecasts again tomorrow evening and make a final call as to whether to continue or postpone the rides. Please check this forum for confirmation before you travel just to be sure.

Hope to see you there !

Steve

by SteveW Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:39 pm
Hi all,
The weather tomorrow looks mixed, better first off with forecasted showers, some possibly heavy, later. I suggest a change of clothes !
Hope to see you at 1030.

Steve

by Cavegiant Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:39 am
3 more people for the slow ride.

by Debs Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 am
Top ride yesterday, thanks Steve for stepping in at the last minute to lead a steady/fast ride :)