Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Hoppers Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:27 pm
Hi All

Emila suggested I should post this here. I have just ordered my first 'proper' mountain bike and wondered if there was any suitable MTB routes around the Pocklington Wolds. It would be good to be able to cycle somewhere close to home.

I'd also like to have a rideout with the club at some point, with a view to becoming a member (when it's dry of course, I wouldn't want to get my new toy dirty!)

H

by Hoppers Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:05 am
Thanks for that BW. The bike should be here today, might do it this weekend, along with Dalby :D

by Hoppers Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:20 am
PS Must learn how to spell Pocklington!

by Tullio Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:28 am
Hi Dave,

The only warning I'd offer, given current conditions, is that the Wolds gets very muddy when it's wet. It's the sort of mud that clogs everything and stops you in your tracks and I wouldn't want your first ride on your new machine to be a miserable one.

Dalby, on the other hand, is lovely mud that just coats you head to toe. :lol:

I'd save the Wolds until it's had time to dry a bit....it's chalk and clay based so it'll take a couple of weeks of sunshine to be enjoyable.

Enjoy!

by Hoppers Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:26 pm
Thanks for the heads up Tullio.

I was at Dalby yesterday, doing Go Ape. There were quite a few MTBers looking rather dirty!!

I might give the York urban route a go too, to get a benchmark of my fitness. 22miles on the road bike is a doddle, it can't be that much more harder on an MTB!!?

by Broom Wagon Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 am
Hoppers, I noticed that you said your first proper MTB. I just assumed that everyone who posts on the MTB discussion must be a heck of a lot better MTBer than me, but if you're a novice I wouldn't recommend the route I posted - it's not especially technical but there are a couple of fairly steep descents - could come a nasty cropper....Hopper.

And I agree with Tulio the route should be done in the dry.

by Hoppers Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 am
I'm getting to that age where the feeling of self preservation is stronger than that of bravery! If the going is too tough, I'll not be ashamed to get off and push.

The bike came yesterday, so had a quick run along the canal from Melbourne to Canal Head. The part of the track on your route you posted was good fun, not extreme by any means, but I'm glad I went for full suspension, contrary to some advice I received. The bike barely got dirty, despite all the rain we've had.