Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by fatsprinter Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:31 pm
Hoping to get a replacement mtb for the one nicked and I'm wondering which options would be best for the budget. Any advice gratefully received.

I mainly mountain bike in Dalby forest and mainly use the red route. On my old Giant XTC aluminium I took a battering by the end of the red route. Especially if going for it. The only other mtbing I do is in Austria up big mountains, mainly forest type hardpack with some single track thrown in, but that is only 3 weeks a year. What type of mtb would be best for the riding?

Carbon hardtail or full suspension?

I quite fancy a Giant Anthem X5 now they have a budget option. (£1400ish) It has decent shocks front and rear, Recon Gold air on front and obviously the Anthem X frame. It appears quite light at about 27.5lbs. Gears are budget with Alivio and Deore and budget wheels, with Giant finishing kit.

I also quite fancy a Cube Reaction GTC Pro Carbon for the same price. It has the carbon frame, with Reba forks and XT/SLX kit and better finishing kit from Easton. Better wheels too. So, you seem to be getting a lot for your money but no full suss. Light at 24.5lbs (ish).

How comfortable will a carbon hardtail be?
Which would be more comfortable for Dalby red route?
Which would be faster on Dalby red route?
Has anyone any experience of Anthem X or Cube or carbon hardtail?

I fancy a full suss but disappointed with spec but fancy carbon but worried it would be too harsh for Dalby?

Finally, can you tow a child trailer (Chariot) on either the full susser or the carbon hardtail without damage. Only pootling with the trailer on.

Any advice?

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by Dan Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:40 pm
Carbon hardtail for me 8)

Rode mine for a couple of days around Glentress the other week and I had no regrets bringing that rather than the full susser. I never found it too uncomfortable and it went like a dream uphil. Mine is a bit lighter than the one you're looking at, it's about 20ib's but I'd recommend it anytime.

Not sure what the lifespan of carbon is compared to aluminium though.

by StephF Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:55 am
I have an Anthem and it is brilliant.

I'd go Anthem and upgrade all the bits as you have the cash / as they break, the frame is nice and everything else can be upgraded. I'd do the wheels first.

by fatsprinter Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53 pm
Still non the wiser. I can see an advantage for both. I sort of think a dual suss would be better for Dalby because it is so rocky but I do know carbon gives a better ride than aluminium as my race bike is carbon and was so much better than the aluminium it replaced. Done Dalby roughly in 2hr20mins on my XTC aluminium but the last third I always feel completely battered as if I've had a weights workout. Would carbon lesson that?

Thank you for the advice. Will keep thinking. Any more wisdom gratefully received. Just need to have a little less work to do to be able to have a look at some bikes and maybe even ride one!! Cheers again.

Schaarf!!

by SteveW Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:08 pm
I've not ridden a carbon hardtail and note the comments by Dan, but like Steph I'd go with a full susser for Dalby red - you can let rip on the downs, especially the more technical sections. I have a longer travel but given the chance would get an Anthem frame for a second lightweight trail bike - those I know with one love it - they're light, with enough travel to get the benefit of full suss, but without the weight of longer travel. Check the reviews for Anthems - I haven't seen any bad comments. Like Steph, you can easily upgrade components as you can / need to. The main component is the frame (and shock), followed by the forks, then wheels. As for Austria, an Anthem would be fine as long as you're not going steep and very rough - I've been a few years running now and brakes are your main concern with the long descents. Enjoy !

by MikeG Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 pm
I used to do Dalby on an s-works hardtail and got tired of being beat up on the rocky bits and having to stand or partly support my weight when the going got rough while others seemed to sit and power through.

About year or so ago I got an Anthem (frame only original geometry/travel with the bits off my previous build) and MUCH prefer it. I was always put off going for suspension by the extra weight but now I decend and climb faster due to the extra grip and comfort. Really, it's a no brainer. I knocked nearly 10 minutes off my red route PB pretty much instantly when I made the swap.

I've still got a spesh hardtail, but it mostly gets used for towing the kids trailer. Now that's real training :shock:

by fatsprinter Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:33 pm
Think I'm leaning towards the Giant, especially for Dalby. I don't do anything radical in Austria - Dalby red is my limit really. Don't do black - too old, kids, mortgage, responsible job etc and not enough testicular mass or skill. Austria great for mtb though. The campsite I go to usually has 20-30 people out on an mtb ride when I go in July/August. Its fantastic.

I'll only be taking one bike to Austria. Can you tow a child trailer (chariot) with Dual suss?

Many thanks for all the help and advice.

Schaarf!!

by Wayne Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:40 am
Hi Fatsprinter

If you have a word with David at Big bear bikes, he has a range of full sus and carbon bikes at various prices, there is a demo model at the shop in most models and sizes.
Give him a call on 01751474220

cheers
Wayne

by SteveW Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:34 pm
You should have no problem pulling a trailer with full sus, but it does depend on the fixing. We have a luggage trailer which hooks up to the rear axle, and a new slightly longer axle is supplied with the trailer to do this. We've used both hardtails and full sussers to pull the trailer with no problems (obviously you're limited as to what terrain you pull the trailer over). Otherwise you might have a long arm from the trailer which hooks up to the seatpost (usually found on single wheeled kids tag along bikes) - if so, you should have no problem. By the way, where in Austria are you going ? I have some maps you can borrow if you like...

by fatsprinter Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm
Cool. Austria excellent - wouldn't mind maps too. Pulling a Chariot with a hitch on the quick release skewer. I've got a longer one. Good to know there would be no problems. Won't be pulling the kids on anything demanding. Just hardpack forest type roads and actually on the roads. Nice to know its doable. Also got a BOB Yak, so nice to know it could pull that too.

Going to Carinthia in Austria to a town called Hermagor, or rather a big organised camping nearby. I store a caravan out there. Hermagor is near Italy and Slovenia and close to Villach and Klagenfurt. It is in the South, in fact the Giro D'Italia passed nearby in Kotschach Mauten and the Monte Zoncolan is not too far away - I'm almost tempted. It is excellent road biking and mountain biking. Absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to go every year. This will be my 14th year out there.

I usually get my backside kicked by some very competent and fit Dutch, German, Italian mountain bikers, but it is all very friendly and civilized. Nice to know someone else has discovered the delights of Austria. The comment I usually get is "isn't it cold with all that snow?". I'd happily move there.

Cheers again for the help. Think I'm sold on an Anthem X. Just need to have a break from working all hours to chase up insurance and actually get a bike - and then get to Dalby to get fit as I'm going away in 5 weeks.

Cheers

Schaarf!!

by JohnS Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Another vote for the Giant Anthem. Great bike and good value.

Just noticed that Moonglu in Ripon have a medium (18") Giant X4 for £1450 (£200 off the full price of £1650) if your interested.

Best regards

John

by fatsprinter Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:20 pm
Just some feedback on the Giant Anthem X, Cube carbon hard tail. Finally got round to buying a Giant Anthem X from Cliff Pratt cycles in Hull. Used to live there and they always give excellent service, sorry I didn't buy closer to home. I

It was such a tough decision in end as two mates had bought Cube carbon hardtails. Took it to Austria and fantastic, although got the feeling a carbon hard tail would have been better in Austria where I was riding, but still, excellent on the downhills. Better than I was. More testicular mass needed to get the best out of it!!

However, today did my first Dalby red route on it. Absolutely fantastic. Despite being unfit, still managed 2hr 30mins with a couple of stops to let air out of tyres as they were sliding everywhere (Racing Ralphs - my Austria summer tyres). That compares with 2hr 20 mins for my fastest time on a Giant XTC aluminium hard tail last year when I was fit and racing and managed a 4th place in a road race.

The Anthem X is good on Dalby's rockyness and rootyness. I rode so much more, rode over stuff, off drop offs, and only got off on a couple of big ones. Like I said - more testicular mass needed. Oh and better tyres.

So to sum up, in my opinion, a dual susser is perfect for Dalby especially if you are fairly (but not completely) limited in the skills stake off road. If Dalby type riding is not in your diet then I think a carbon hard tail would be better and faster - especially at places like Sherwood pines.

Can't wait to get back to dalby again, especially with more suitable tyres. Anyone able to provide child care for mischief and destruction?

Next post - what are the best tyres for Dalby?

Schaarf!!

by jakemoxon Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:07 pm
Have you had a look at Canyon bikes there are cheap get some good kit for your money. Only draw back is they are mail order only!