Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by taz0759 Wed May 05, 2010 11:48 am
Just want your views I currently ride a Van Nicholas Titanium Zion only 9 months old! I mostly ride at Dalby and I am getting rattled to bits should I sell VN and buy a Full suspension maybe Giant Anthem XW??? or stick with VN opinions wanted??

by MikeG Wed May 05, 2010 12:07 pm
I've never had a ti bike but used to have the same beat up experience on my Specialized hardtails at Dalby. Last year I built up an Anthem frame (shorter travel version with SID forks) and find the whole experience much better from a comfort and confidence point of view, not to mention faster into the bargain. It's barely noticably heavier too. Wish I'd done it years ago :D

by SimonW Thu May 06, 2010 9:41 am
I have been riding an '06 Trance for 18 months now, its very similar to the new Anthem with 100mm travel. I would highly recomend the Anthem, for Dalby, you will never go back to the VN!

Simon

by Debs Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 am
Hi Taz

I also ride a Ti Hardtail which I ride round Dalby (and have been known to ride multiple laps of Dalby on it so it must be fairly damn comfy!!)

I think that the key thing that is missing from the recommendations is that you should find a bike that suits and fits you - if you get the right one it should be comfortable in any environment for which is designed. For ages I suffered in Dalby on my full susser - but switching the stem for a 50mm option improved the ride significantly.

Before you rush in and start spending crazy money on a new frame or bike I'd suggest that you play about with the set up on the Ti bike to see if you can improve the ride.

Happy riding
D

by Allan Thu May 06, 2010 12:58 pm
Why dont you turn up for a weds night ride - you will get plenty of advice then I am sure!!

by taz0759 Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm
Thanks Allan hope to get out soon, ride for this wed looks a hard one so wont attend that one! Went to dalby sat and sun last week so I am trying to get my skills up!