Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by StephF Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:35 am
Does anyone have any experience with suspension seat posts?

I was thinking of a Thudbuster LT for my Scott Scale

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6208

It is quite heavy (0.5KG) but if it means I can sit down over fields etc then it could be worth it. I am wondering how it affects climbing though as I assume it cannot be locked out.

Does anyone have an opinion on this or know of a better one?

Also I'd have to get a shim as my seatpost is a 34.9, so not sure if that is a bad thing or not?

Thanks

Steph

by SimonW Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 am
Hi Steph,

For a few ££ more you could buy the SCOTT GENIUS FRAME that's for sale :wink: , my view is that a a propper suspesion unit is always going to do a better job!

But then again I get back ach if I leave my pro-peddle on by mistake!

A cheeper option might be to run your back tire at a slightly lower pressure.

Simon

by StephF Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:11 pm
Ha ha you made a good point!

I like the Scale, it's very racy, and has no suspension pivots to replace, which is great in winter. I just get battered by it......

Steph

by GOLDGPR Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:41 am
Steph

I have a Cane Creak TB LT, if you wanted you can try it out although its a 27.2 post.

I think that they are good takes out most of the bumps well and trail buzz and easy to maintain.

I got mine from .........
[/url]http://www.thudbuster.com/products.html[url]

seemed to be cheapest at the time.

G

[/url]

by StephF Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:45 am
Thanks for that, so you would say it was not just a gimmick and it is actually worth getting then? Do you find it takes away any of your power at all? And what happens when you are climbing?

Sorry to bombard you with questions :wink:

Thanks

Steph

by GOLDGPR Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 pm
No problems.....

Nope its not a gimmick but have only ever used this suspension post not the compressed versions.
Although it sounds like a silly idea that the saddle moves back when the post is being compressed works very well as its actually the bike which is moving up and down your saddle is in the position.

There is a good amount of travel and you can change the elastomers to different strengths to tune the ride to be softer or harder.

When climbing it does bob a little but not noticeable there is no way of locking it out only to change the elastomers to make them stiffer but still allow for larger bumps. But then i don't think that any of them have a lock out feature on them.

When reading reviews about them there only down side is the weight as slightly heavier than a pogo style seat post but there action is much better the post that always came second was the USE version.

Its definitely saved a sore back when riding at Dalby a good few times

G