Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by David Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 pm
They suck... Really really really suck

Had pain in my right shin so went to the doctor and she thinks I have a shin splint, when i told I had recently increaded my running by quite alot it she was certain. Been told to rest for 2 weeks, it been 2 days im already bored stupid... been told also to put ice on my leg and do streches and take anti - inflamitories...

I know this a cycling forum, not really a running one but I was wondering if people who have had shin splints before have had any sucessful treatments that have prevented them from getting shin splints again...

Nothing is real...everything is permitted

by Debs Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:03 pm
stretching, stretching, stretching. As a biker who nows runs (a bit) I ended up having to run for a couple of mins, then stretch, then run until I got used to running.
Still do lots of stretching post-exercise now!!

by willowtrousers Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:07 pm
Hi David,

I have had the same problem too, there are so many causes for different people it can be difficult to diagnose. I never really found a cure, just ways to reduce and manage it. There is some good advice to be found on the runners world forum. Heres some pointers I found on there.

Increase the frequency and mileage gradually and drop back to shorter runs if it flares up. It will only completely go with complete rest though.
If you're running a lot on pavement, try different surfaces like grass or a treadmil. If your a member at courtneys gym they have a surfaced running track you can use.
Stretching is really important especially your calves. Before during and after, and even on days when your not running.
Proper trainers, from a shop where they will analyse your gait and choose ones that suit you exactly - expensive though!
There is also a lot of debate about running techniques, weather landing heel first, flat or on your toes is best. Look up chi running.

Try one thing at a time and see what suits you. In the mean time, Dr. knows best. Use ice packs wrapped in a teatowel and put your feet up!