Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by barberj Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:34 pm
Was wondering how many of the Mountain bikers are doing the Scotton this year?

1) You need this or the MTB hill time trial (in Oct) to enter the Challenge Series.
2) It counts on the Road challenge series too. So two for one!
3) Its a really good ride with 1/3 of the route being on bridleways. I would say the 100km version rides like a 70-75mile road ride in terms of effort required. There is also a 50km version. This is my third one!
4) You do not need a flash bike to do it on. The ideal is a cyclocross bike with a close second being a rigid/hardtail MTB. Though anything really. You get some commuting bikes and full road bikes too.
5) It can be thorny and muddy on the bridleways (Though last year it was bone dry, but still thorny!). Tyre choice can be interesting. As 2/3 on road you don't want to have anything too knobbly on. Again a cyclocross tyre, protected road or trail tyre would be best.
6) You get a mug and a meal at the end for your £14 entry fee.
7) There are only 100 spaces and I know that about 45-50 places have been filled so far.

See you there

Jeff B

by Dan Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:21 pm
I'm planning on doing this ride on my mountain bike but I'm going to use 1.25"x26" MTB road tyres on it. If it's very wet in the few days running up to the event I might have to re-think my strategy though!

by SimonW Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:41 pm
I have just posted my entry!

Mountain bike for me too.

Simon

by anotherpaul Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm
I'm away on my jollies then, otherwise I would have been up for it!

Enjoy! :)
Paul