Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by scrumpydave Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:51 pm
Just joined the club so I thought I'd post a message to get involved until I can come on a ride.

I'm a man of the road normally, but I ride a CX bike and keep a seperate set of wheels for off road use. They're equipped with 42mm tyres, which are pretty chunky but some way short of a wide MTB tyre. I tend to use it for bridleways and other non technical tracks.

I'm going to Whinlatter in Feb and I'd rather take this bike than hire one. The question is am I expecting too much of it? All the other guys will be on proper MTBs, so will I be able to keep up? And could I use this bike on any of the Clifton organised off road rides?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dave

by Tullio Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:23 pm
Hi Dave and welcome.

I once rode the Red Route at Dalby with Matt from Malton Wheelers on his Cyclo Cross. I say 'rode with' but he quickly cleared off with a couple of others on MTB whilst I shepherded a new member but the other guys struggled to keep up with Matt and he rode the lot. So anything is possible.

Having said that you'd have to be fairly masochistic to want to ride Whinlatter, in the Winter, on a Cyclo Cross. There's lots of slippery rocks and roots to catch you out even on 2.3 tyres with suspension helping you out so you might be in for a miserable, bumpy day. They do some good hire bikes there.

And of course you're welcome to join us on your CX. We could play a game of sort of bike 'hash' at Dalby - set you off with a 10 min lead and see if we can catch you :D

Send me your contact details to mtb(at)cliftoncc.org and I'll add you to my mailing list.