Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Tullio Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:05 pm
Oh boy, where is summer?

With fading light and the prospect of another wet Wednesday let's try Castle Howard this week.

Meet Coneysthorpe Xroads Lay-by next to the Lake (SE 707712) 7pm. The ride is likely to be a fairly gentle affair and we may have to route around the muddy and nettley bits as necessary but I've an idea for a good route.

If it's raining there'll be no ride but I'll cancel via this thread by 3pm.

Who's interested?

by Chris Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:05 pm
I'm going for a quick shakedown spin around Castle Howard tomorrow - I could check the route out condition wise if you'd like (or at least the bits you suspect of being a bit muddy...).

Should be there Wed as well.

Chris

by allyst170 Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:04 pm
Count me in, been a while since I was last able to make it.

by Tullio Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:41 am
Chris,

Perhaps you can recce the ridge Bridleway? I imagine the bit to the East before the farm is quite overgrown but worth seeing if it's rideable. The West ridge got quite boggy last year but is likely to be more rideable.

If you can put together a descent route of about 1 1/2 hr I'm happy to hand the reigns over.

by Chris Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:01 am
Tullio wrote: If you can put together a descent route of about 1 1/2 hr

A route thats ALL down hill? Where were those uplifts again? :P

The west ridge was practically one big puddle last time I tried + quite overgrown. I'll have a look again today.

by Chris Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 pm
Conditions were brilliant. A few sticky muddy 'puddles' here and there but 98% of the time - dry, fast, and great fun.

Lets just hope the so called 'rain' this afternoon and tomorrow doesn't affect things too much :(

Got a dry route sorted if needed :)

EDIT: West ridge was quite muddy but it is passable.

by jamesp Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm
Hi guys,

wanting to come out for first time with you guys for the ride, is their any chance of a lift from Shipton Road area of York. Will be back at my house from work at 5:30, so pick up anytime after that.

Should I bring my lights?

Ta James,

by SimonW Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:05 am
James,

I live on Rawcliffe Lane,
If you can get to mine for 6pm you are welcome to a lift.

Will PM you my address

Simon

by jamesp Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:41 am
Ta Simon, I will be able to make it to yours for 6, thanks.

by willowtrousers Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:09 pm
Hi,

fingers crossed I should be able to make it this time.

Chris.

by George Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 pm
Just joined the site. I would of been up for this if I'd seen it before :?

Been wanting to do Castle Howard & sheriff & cropton etc for some time now, just never got the chance.

Anything happening tomorrow night?

by SimonW Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:59 am
James,

Were did you get to? Waited for ages!

Simon

by jamesp Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 am
Simon,

Sorry i didnt recieve your private message so wasnt sure if you guys were all still going and where you lived to grab the lift,

I am still deffinetly up for riding if you guys are going again next week give me a shout,

iv sent my details as a private message to you for future,

Sorry again Simon

by SimonW Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:39 am
James,

Thanks for your note.

Has any one elce had problems with the PM's?

Simon