Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Malinois Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:11 pm
Hi,
my name is Ian. I am just trying to summon up enough courage and fitness to join you.

I am currently trying to lose weight and gain fitness by riding my hybrid Trek around Selby and York. Mainly road work but I want to progress to a MTB.

I am 6'7 so I don't really have a great choice in bikes. I am either looking at a TREK 4300 Disk or the Specialized Rock Hopper they come with 24 and 23 inch frames.

I will keep watching you and eventually join in. You won't miss me, I will be the giant on a bike.

Ian

by tnwoolley Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:12 pm
Hi Ian welcome to the forum/club.

You sound like a rather tall chap so when you do bite the bullet and splash your cash on a shiny new (or 2nd hand bargain) bike you might want to consider a 29'er.

A 'regular' mountain bike comes with wheels that have a 26" diameter. These are fine for most types/sizes/shapes of riders but those of a taller persuasion can feel cramped on even the larger frame sizes; and so a 29'er (or bike with wheels 29" diameter) may fit a little better. Visit a few of your local bike shops (LBS) and try some out!

(I think Gary Fisher and Trek do a couple of 29ers).

Hope to see you out on a ride soon!

Tom.

by Malinois Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:06 pm
Hi,
thanks for the welcome. I have been thinking along the same lines.

I was looking at the Specialized Rockhopper 29er with a 23 inch frame which is around £800

Also looking at the Kona Big Kahuna but it is £1100 for the same forks setup etc.

I keep going out on my Hybrid Trek for the moment. I did a route today from my house to Stillingfleet, Escrick, Skipwith and home. Which is 14.96 miles. It took me 1hr 8 mins 15 secs

Not really quick, but not bad for a bloke who weighs in at 25st :)

I am alternating workouts. Every other day I ride. One ride is around 25 miles and is a slog. The other is 15 miles and for speed. I seem to be getting better.

Ian

by GOLDGPR Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 am
Hi Ian,
am same as you just waiting for the right time to get out with everybody.
Following on from what Tom was saying about the 29'ers if you go to Chevin Cycles in Otley they have a few Gary Fisher 29'ers you can look at and also have demo bikes to try.

Regards Graham

by Malinois Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:50 pm
Hi,
thanks, I was going to ask the group for info on a good bike shop.

Have to say I feel sorry for some of you. Had one of my dogs in at the vet today for an op. While we were waiting for her we drove from Easingwold to Helmsley via the back roads.

As I see that is a area the Wednesday night group freaquent, as I was driving up and down these backroad hills I was imagining the torture :)

Ian

by Tullio Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Hi Ian,

Good to hear from you.

You might want to give Big Bear bikes in Pickering a try. They're Trek dealers and keen MTBers. Good excuse to pop into Dalby Forest for a play whilst you're there too.

Perhaps you could PM me and I'll pop you on our mailing list.

Paul

by David Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:18 pm
Hello

If you want a place closer to home - Cycleworks are Trek Dealers (closer to home if you live in york that is)

David

Nothing is real...everything is permitted

by Malinois Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Hi,
my original Trek Hybrid is from CycleWorks. I have to say I did not get good service from them.

I collected my bike which had been built up and inspected by them. On the first ride out the pedal dropped off 5 miles from home!

Also, a week ago, I emailed them to ask about any modifications I could do to my bike to make it more comfortable and never got a reply.

But don't really want to sour any contacts I make on here so I wont go on about it :)

Ian

by Malinois Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:48 pm
Hi,
I went into Chevin Cycles today as I was in Leeds.

I have to say that the sales person who dealt with me was very good, very patient. Could not do enough. Even let me sit on the managers bike who is 6'4 and has a few mods on it to suit a taller person.

Interesting what can be done with a 21 inch frame and a few mods. It had a Thomson bent seat post and a 110mm head bracket to lenghten it out. It felt quite comfortable.

All I need now is 3k to buy the rest of the bike :)

Ian

by allyst170 Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:07 pm
I bought my marin from chevin. Very good service especially compared with york cycleworks.

by Malinois Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:49 pm
The bike I would really like to have a sit on is the Specialized 29er but everyone has sold out and I am going to have to wait for the 2010 bikes to come out to get any decent choice in my size.

Ian

by Alistair12 Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:05 pm
Boneshakers in Harrogate are a Specialized dealer and have excellent service. i just got my new Trek Road bike from them.