Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Tullio Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:08 am
With the evenings getting lighter and warmer we'll soon be introducing an evening ride to the program.

Let's have a discussion about format, location,etc to see what everyone wants.

-The profile of riders has changed significantly over the last couple of years. I've had a few comments that you don't find Castle Howard very challenging or interesting.
-Last year Castle Howard was pants for most of the Summer because of the wet weather; lots of nettles/brambles and very overgrown.
-Is Wednesday still the best day?
-Do we change/vary location?
-Do we have volunteers to help with route choice?

We switched locations to Yearsley and Dalby a couple of times last year but there's also the option to do slightly longer rides, on the South side of the Moors or on the Wolds, perhaps finishing with lights.

Discuss away....

by David Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:04 pm
I shall (hopefully) be joining you, ive got my p.e stuff out of the way so now i can enjoy mountain biking. When would the summer evening rides start as A levels are till the end of may (maybe early june) for me. So I won't be riding till after then because of "revision". Also what times would they be eaarly/late afternoon?

David

Nothing is real...everything is permitted

by SimonW Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 am
Hey Dave!

Don't forget you will need a bike as well :wink:

Simon

by GOLDGPR Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:11 pm
Have been a silent visitor on here for a while, am intrested in joining you for the evening rides and have quite probably passed you as usually do a loop round there from layburn.

My only concern is the sort of pace that you go at, as not very fast i have been out before with another group but ended up holding people up or people waiting for me to catch up.

Do you split up the slow ones from the fast??

Thanks Graham

by David Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:38 pm
Shhhh

It coming beginning of june...

Nothing is real...everything is permitted

by Allan Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:16 pm
I would like to join you all on the odd wednesday evening.
Dont mind where or when and could plan a route if needed.
Dalby sounds great for an evening red route ride.
What about Horcum-Levisham-goathland moor-Sneaton-horcum for a 2.5 hour blast?

by MikeW Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:07 am
Only made it out once last year (7pm can be a challenge to get changed and out from work), but hope to get out more this year - especially after 2 days of skills training this coming weekend!

My preference would be to vary the locations a bit, there are some good routes on the Moors and even closer on the Wolds - Fridaythorpe, Givendale etc

by Debs Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:06 pm
Hiya

7pm is a good start time - it means I can eat before riding :D.
Wednesday or Friday are good evenings for me. Presume we're going to make this a weekly thing? Was it fortnightly last year? Can't remember but anyway I need the practice.
Think that varying the location is a good idea. Castle Howard is fine and to be honest I didn't think that it was that muddy/brambly last year so I don't think that you should discount riding round that area as an option. Wouldn't want to start travelling too far on an evening though as it makes for yet another late night during the week.
As always up for leading a few rides!

by Lilly Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 am
Wednesday isn't great for me, but could alternate it with my other stuff if thats the favourite for majority; Tue / Thur would I think be good - breaks up the week...
Thoughts re a regular Friday eve ride - cuts into the weekend if people going away?

by allyst170 Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:05 pm
Not really bothered as when, but would be good to get something sorted. Due to working shifts I haven't managed to get out on a ride with you lot yet as it always falls wrong for me.

by Alistair12 Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:53 pm
yep these look wednesday or fridays are good for us and as long as there not too far away.
Alistair