Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Lilly Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:31 pm
Keep scaring myself in the mornings when off-roading and would like to get involved in night-riding too... there's a myriad of light options on the internet. Anyone got any positive/negative feedback re lights they've got/used that might help me fine tune my options? Happy to splash some cash but want quality-v-price ratio to be right.
Thanks in advance!

by Tullio Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:26 pm
These have also been getting good write ups and they're pretty cheap for off-road lights http://www.ayup.com.au/

by Lilly Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:45 am
Hmm, was a throw up between Ayups and Maxx Daddy in the end - and have gone with the Maxx D (price/lumens/fact got a 10 rating in MBR), with a plan afoot to backtrack to the Ayups if disappointed in anyway!

Thanks both.

by Gill C Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:30 pm
Good choice.......I have the Enduro Max and am very happy with them.
See you out night riding soon!

by Cavegiant Mon May 11, 2009 8:51 pm
I would be sceptical about any quoted lumens, its amazing how much BS is in the market.

I just made my own light, it's amazing the profit margins on these.

I have a homemade light that puts out approx 1000lm on max.
You would be surprised, but it's awsome!

Hope bike lights are amazing, but you get what you pay for,

P

by Cavegiant Wed May 13, 2009 7:52 am
For most of these lights you can get something similar by mounting one proper led directly driven with 3 aa batteries.
That will get you 200-240 lm for about £10. This is my emergency backup torch.

If you want to get fancy you can mount 4 and link in a circuit board like me for about £50. This WAS my caving/bike light, was due to wiring it to a lead acid back to front, expensive mistake.