Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by barberj Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:28 pm
Depend on you, but 3 to 4 hours is a rough guide for all of it. You maybe can do it quicker if you are really going for it.

by willowtrousers Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:01 pm
last summer I went round in 2hrs 50 min, but in my haste I took a wrong turn and ended on the blue. So I missed out three or four of the last sections.

by Gully001 Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 pm
a dry n dusty 2.18

by Tullio Fri May 01, 2009 9:15 pm
Watch out for a new Clifton challenge inspired by Simon.

We're going to have a Red Route challenge based on fastest lap. Currently I think Simon holds the record at 2.07 but others are limbering up in the wings.

by Allan Sat May 02, 2009 12:18 pm
2.29 - but that is to and from the bike shop carpark at Low Dalby. Reckon I will hit the 2.15 mark this summer - or even less if I start and finish at the last stage of the red route.
Legend tells of a guy who does 1.40..........................................

by nickb Sun May 03, 2009 8:23 am
Only timed my self a couple of times this year, i did 1hr56 about a month ago on full suss and 1hr52 yesterday on hardtail. I got really beaten up on the hardtail! 1hr40 is very do-able if you go flat out from the start or warm up first then go flat out!

Oh, and providing you get a clear run without getting stuck behind families on the red route who really shouldn't be there :evil:

by Allan Sun May 03, 2009 4:49 pm
Is there a definative start/finish point for the purposes of timing?
If there is to be a fastest lap challenge then a start/finish needs to be agreed.

by nickb Sun May 03, 2009 5:01 pm
I start my garmin when i leave the car, wherever it is parked in the first car park and stop it after i have come down the steps at the end of the red route onto the tarmac.

by SimonW Tue May 05, 2009 10:00 am
My best time for the Red is 2.09 but thanks Tullio for knocking 2 min off for me!

Best time in the wet at night is 2.29

NickB - When are you free for a fast lap? A bit of drafting on the back straight might save a couple of mins! I agree about the warming up, I like to start 1 or 2 sections back from when I start my clock. As for families on the red, nothing you can do but go early of late on a weekend and you miss most of them. I find most people are great and jump out of my way!

I am lead to believe the official start/finnish point is the Dixon's hollow car park but does it matter? A lap is a lap as long as you start and stop your clock at the same point!

Simon

by nickb Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 pm
Simon-maybe weekend after next, will let you know.

I have nothing against families out on their bikes as long as they stick to the family routes! People soon pull over though when they hear my deafeningly loud Hope pro3 freehub!

by Gully001 Tue May 05, 2009 9:08 pm
Nick
Do you have time to free wheel ?

by Tullio Wed May 06, 2009 7:16 am
It seems like we have plenty of interest in this as a bit of friendly competition so I'm happy to coordinate.

The challenge then is the fastest lap of the whole Red Route.

1. Start 'for timing' is where the track crosses the firetrail at Go Ape, allowing you the first section as a warm up.

2. Finish is when your tyre hits the tarmac at the finish by Purple Mountain.

3. Only MTBs allowed, no CycloCross.

4. Send evidence (.gpx etc) to me with date and time and I'll keep a log.

5. Only open to those with current Clifton CC membership.

I'll figure out a way of publishing a league table for entries and if there's enough entries a (small) prize at the end of the year.

How about a night time version?

Incidently, I'm going to check out the new route (being used for NPS this weekend) next week when it's open to the public. I'm told that might be more suitable for such a challenge although more of a sprint so it'll favour the roadies.

by Cavegiant Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 pm
I think the longest it has taken me is 7 hours.

by Andy J Sun May 31, 2009 7:56 pm
1hour 59mins today, sure as NickB says that could be taken down to around 1hour 40mins, I was just maintaining a steady pace but had loads left at the end so could of pushed much harder, my garmin on the last two times Ive ridden the red route has a toatal distance of 22miles and not the stated 23mls. What does everyone else get the distance as? this was starting and finishing at low Dalby car Park.