Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by David Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:26 pm
Hello

Ive finally got the spec for my mountain biking in AS level. I shall summarise what it says as it is rather complicated.

There are 5 skills:

Starts and Finishes
Climbing/Decending/Riding Technique
Route Selection/Positiong
Tatical Awareness
Bends/Cornering

This is what i have to: (Have to have these filmed)

Trail 1 15 marks (3 marks each)

Trail 1 must have 3 of the 5 skills listed above and it in a non competitive enviroment

Trail 2 15 marks (3 marks each)

Trail 2 must have the 2 skills not used in Trail 1 and one already used in Trail 1 and is in a non competive enviroment

Trail 3 20 marks (4 marks each)

Trail 3 i have to do Starts and Finishes, Climbing/Decending/Riding Technique and Bends/Cornering and another skill from the list above in a structured practice/competitive enviroment

David
Last edited by David on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Tullio Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:33 am
David,

Is this different from what you were expecting? I thought, initially, you were told it was all about racing/competitive stuff. Strange that it doesn't have any criteria about fitness or results?

In any case these sections seem to give you more scope for developing your riding within a club riding environment rather than scouring the Country for the next year chasing down races alone. I believe at least 2 members have got headcams too which may help.

What's your plan then? Research, timetable, practice, diary, race/competition plans, targets for year? Anything we can help with? Have you got a bike yet???

by David Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:24 pm
Well, ill start with the bike - dad said he would buy me one if i stuck at AS Sport (Really don't like it) - but don't want to push him so if the worst comes to the worst i can rent one again.

Im not that botherd about the fitness as (not being cockly) have a decent to good level of it.

The helmet cams could be mint to use! - So id be up for that if the kind members would like to come along.

Research

Which would be good routes to choose for the skills?
What are the correct positions/stuff for each skill?

Timetable
Has to be filmed and handed in by mid Feburary

Practice
nah just want to get it over with as im quitting pe after the AS Level, there is no way i doing it at A2

Diary
5th jan go back to college
5th - 9th jan organise borrowing a video camera

Race/Competition Plans
None

Targets for year
Get routes and anyone that would like to help set out by the end of DEC

by David Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:57 pm
Ive seen this bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle

At Bob Trotters in York for £870 - i think that is a good price - any one got any thoughts on it?

Also

For Trail 1 ive decided to do:
Climbing/decending/Riding Technique

For the climbing part i think right at the beginning of all the trails, where you go up the trail (near the car park) which as merandering corners, would be the best part for that. With a stationary camera panning while following me on a section with a person behind me with a helmet camera.

For the decending part, i think one you have got to the top of the up hil section, you can either go straight on or take a left to the red route, that one (with the step sort of things), go down there with a stationary panning while following me down there. (When im on the steps, using video editing programs pause the film and point out the correct riding technique for going down)

That will be that bit done.

I would also like to do the bends/cornering part, (now i need some help on route selection on this part) Does anybody who was there on the day when i was cyling with you the group of people who all worked together remember what route we did because there was a section about 3/4 of the way in where there were lots of sharp banked turns, i think that that would be an idea place for a stationary camera to film me going down the turns.

And that would be that bit.

And maybe for route selection i could be filmed point out the route we were i was going to do and justifilying why I was going to do it.

That that would be trail one.

Trail 2 ill have to do
Starts and finishes
Tactial awareness (How is this possible for a non competitive situation?)
and most likely do cornering again.

For Trail 3 ive decided to do Starts and Finishes, Climbing/Decending/Riding Technique and Bends/Cornering and Tatical Awareness - but is different than the other 2 Trails, it has to be in a competitive enviroment or in a structured practice enviroment, so I will need some other riders to help with this bit.
Last edited by David on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
by David Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:29 pm
Has anybody got an idea of where there is a good route for trail 2 and trail 3? As i think that the routes have to be different - altough im not sure and to be honestly i don't think they (the exam board) will know all that much about mountain biking, and i think someone at my college will actually be watching the videos can giving me a grade based on that performance, however if they don't pull there finger out I may need someone else to do it. (Maybe a nice member of Clifton Moor Cycling Club :D )

York college is one of the most poorly organised building in the world. :roll:

Oh and were can i get a member ship form to print out so i can become (drum roll) an official member and not feel guilty any more about only coming on one bike ride :oops:

David

by David Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:40 pm
Arthur wrote:Membership forms etc are at the bottom of this page:

http://www.cliftoncc.org/static.php?content=membership

Found out that i have already filled one of these in - but there is no address, anybody know off the top of there head what it is so i can post it today.

by Arthur Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:36 pm
The address is at the bottom of the form........