Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by willowtrousers Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:52 am
Hi fellow tinkerers,

I had a minor glitch with my forks this weekend (FOX Float, RL32, 140, 2008)
Basicly after the friday and saturday rides, when I got my bike out on sunday the lockout and rebound adjust wouldnt work at all.

When I got the bike home I played around, turning the rebound between its limits a few times, and it has started working again.

I know that if you have the fork locked out and hit a bump hard enough the lockout "blows off"- which may be all this was. But it just seems a bit too random to me.

Anyone out there got any advice?

A trip back to the shop means goin to Keswick, oh no not Whinlater again :wink:

by Tullio Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:04 am
Were they locked out or did the adjuster just not move?

The adjuster just opens/closes various small valves to regulate the damping oil flow. It maybe you had some moisture in them and the cold was freezing it up.

I've had no problem at all with 3 sets of Fox Forks despite abusing them and not following the recommended (short) service intervals. Steph's did complain about the lack of servicing though and the adjuster completely locked up last year (the Forks still worked). A few days with Mojo got them back working again as new though.

If you get the correct Oils and Fox Fluid they're easy to strip down and service yourself if you've half a brain. Mojo can supply all the seals and O rings you need. As yours are nearly new I wouldn't start pulling them apart. If they continue to play up just use it as an excuse to visit the Lakes and try out one of KMB's demo fleet while they sort them.

by willowtrousers Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:28 pm
Thanks Paul, I think you may have cracked it.

Were they locked out or did the adjuster just not move?

The forks were moving freely as normal, it was when I tried to lock them out for climbing that I noticed the problem.

The adjuster just opens/closes various small valves to regulate the damping oil flow. It maybe you had some moisture in them and the cold was freezing it up.

The bike was stored upside down overnight in the car, and there was snow that night. I am guessing the valves are at the bottom of the inner tube, and all the oil would have pooled at the 'top' leaving them exposed.