Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Gully001 Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:10 pm
so all you keenies what do you think about single speed mountain bikes good or bad ....... Fun or sad any comments please post below

by Can'tstop Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:34 pm
Well I love my SS 69er (light, simple, fast to clean etc) although I know plenty of people that hate being restricted to one gear.

Chainring/cog ratios are critical and are different depending on whether you run a conventional 26" wheel or are using a 29er. I use the standard 2:1 (32:16) for 90% of the time including Dalby, but if I go to the Dales or anywhere really hilly I'd probably swap the rear cog for a 17 or even 18t.

Once you get used to the fact that if you want to go faster you have to pedal faster (rather than shifting to a bigger chainring or smaller cog) and most of the climbing you do will be out of the saddle it's simple. When you go back to a geared bike it'll feel like you're cheating.

Bottom line is to try it. Even if you only do it for a short while you'll be fitter, stronger, and pedal better than if you stuck with your geared bike.

Cheers

Alex

by nickb Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:44 pm
Single speed!

I used to use a ss with pace carbon rigid forks through winter a few years ago on 32x16. As i got sucked further into the dark side i stopped using it and sold the forks for a profit! This weekend though i just got my GT Zaskar out of hibernation, binned the knackered drivetrain and turned it into a ss for this winter to save the pivots on my FSR. This time im using susp forks because i have some but with rigid you really learn how to ride properly. You have to have some strength to ride a ss and your arms get a good workout too.

You can soon turn a mtb into single speed for hardly any money and the best thing is it's hassle free when it comes to maintenance. Give it a go!

by Gully001 Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:10 pm
thanks for the advise guys ... I am now a ss rider on my Orange P7,well seems ok so far