Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by nickb Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:41 pm
Anybody ridden at Newcastleton? Thought about riding it on my way up to Scotland. It's only 10.5km long or 13km with the current diversion, so i'd have to do a few laps, and i know it can't compare to Dalbeattie or Glentress but is it worth riding?

by SimonW Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:04 am
Nick,

Yes, I have riden Newcastleton, its a great little place, well designed quite natural in feel abit like the best bits of the old red route in Dalby. The only problem is its over too soon. I did two laps, one afternoon, to split up the drive to Glentress.

If your over that way I can highly recomend Drumlanrig Castle.

Simon

by nickb Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:26 am
Thanks Simon.

Im actually staying for 2 nights nr newcastleton now! So ill be riding it anyway. Was also going to drive across to Dalbeattie (50miles) just 'cos its sooo good. But if drumlanrig is nearer i might try that. Is it waymarked/all weather etc?

by SimonW Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:21 pm
Drumlanrig Black is tight, twisty and has loads of roots. Its fantastic but could be hard work in the wet. Both the red and black are well signed and good quality maps are available from the bike shop on site (unlike the rubish that is sold as a map in Dalby) Also there is great shower, bike wash and cafe facilitys, the only down side is its £4 per person to get in, although the Sunday we went it was only £2 per car as there was a farmers market on.

Enjoy!

by nickb Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:43 pm
Will do, thanks Simon!