Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to discuss Mountain Biking: Organise rides or lifts, or just chat about rides, equipment or anything else.

Moderators: StephF, Tullio, Moderators

by Lilly Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:06 am
I'm wanting to prevent my feet slipping on the pedals when cycling off-road and have a slight distrust of clip-ins; know they take a while to get used to but don't believe my brain works in the right way to think about taking feet out before crashing when at speed/in difficulty...

As such have been looking at pedals with pins - seem to be a good idea - but am struggling to find a decent pair of shoes to wear with them; lots of surfer dude/skater boy options for the men, but only Van for the ladies that I've found, and pretty hideous and pricey to boot.

Any comments or feedback from personal experience re the pedals/pins and advice re good ladies shoe options to wear with them would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance, Lil

by nickb Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:45 pm
Like anything-with a bit of practise spd's will be fine and you'll probably wonder how you ever did without them. If you were unfortunate enough to crash while clipped in, you would be extremly unlucky not to become unclipped.
If you do want flat pedals, Specialized do some nice looking womens gear that are nice and stiff but you can also easily walk in them. Plus they have a section you can cut out from the sole if you do eventually try cleats. Don't think they'll be much cheaper than Vans but much better quality and fit, and the BG soles help your knees.

by Lilly Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:03 am
Thanks for comments - everyone seems to be telling me I'll get used to them... off to test a couple of pairs at lunchtime!

by Arthur Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:28 am
One top tip - make sure you get the "multirelease" cleats, not the standard ones. They make pulling out much easier, but aren't the ones normally supplied with the pedals.

by Lilly Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:43 am
Thanks for the tip re peddles; yep - they're the ones I bought.

Seem to be oK, no major 'incidents' as yet!