Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Jon G Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:43 pm
My day of reckoning is nearly upon us (6th July).

Is their any last minute advice you can give me? This been aimed at Arthur, Willy etc who I know have done it and in the case of Willy is doing it this year along with Dave C.

Also my number is 2215, I know they set them off in pens but how many at a time? It might be handy to know how long it might take to cross the start line. i have some concerns about the sweeper van that runs at the elimaninatiion time. Was glad my number wasnt 9000 odd. Setting off at the back would definitly have worried me.

I must admit I'm looking forward more to CTC trip in September to the Pyrennees but having said that it might mean reliving some of the horrors up the Tourmalet.

Im sure I'll be OK. I feel I've done quite a few mile this year.

Jon

by Arthur Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:20 pm
My top tips are

1) Don't start too fast
2) Don't start too fast and
3) Don't start too fast.

Amazing numbers of people get caught up in the event and then blow on the last big climb of the day. Also work out how much food you need eat, then dive into the feed stations, grab it and eat on the move. Finally, make sure you get enough water.

by Dr Dave Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:30 pm
Not sure I'm qualified to comment fully but from my White Rose Classic experience I would say eat, eat, eat, eat. When you're out of carbs you're b****ered!

by dave c Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:30 pm
Jon g wrote:
Also my number is 2215

I wouldn't worry Jon my number is 6365. It's my first etape but as Aurthur and Dr Dave have said, remember pace, food and drink.

Might see you there but looks unlikely given the 4000 odd between us!

Have a good ride

Dave

by Jon G Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:37 am
dave c wrote:Jon g wrote:
Also my number is 2215

Might see you there but looks unlikely given the 4000 odd between us

You are kidding you'll probalby overtake me enroute to the Tourmalet.

Jon