Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by DamianE Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:27 pm
I did our race at the weekend with Tim being the other Clifton rider in the A/B now that John has 'graduated' if that's the right phrase to the C's.
I was third last year so wanted to do better if I could but I knew beforehand that probably the only way to do that would be to go with Jamie Sharpe when he attacked. Now I'm nowhere near as good as Jamie so I needed a couple of ringers in there to trade turns with him. Coming towards the end of the first lap (he had already been away for half a lap before getting caught) another move of 5 moved clear. They were about 50m clear when I realised this was it. So I braced myself to go 'over the top' in my one and only all in effort. I shouted to Tim but to be fair didn't give him much warning. I full gassed it and got 3/4 of the way and thought, I need someone to help here. I checked and was by myself so I got out the saddle once more and I was either going to make it or bust a gut and get dropped. Fortunately I got on and managed a breather. We then did through and off, full gas (or at least I was!) for a lap and dropped one. By this point I was seriously blowing but the bunch were still chasing. I missed a few turns up around the lumpy bits as did another guy but next time we got on the longer straights we seemed to have a bit of distance over those behind. Now at this point it eased off a bit but that might've been due to the fact that I was now missing more turns than I was doing. I knew the other 3 were all Bs and I had no chance of beating Jamie so I had 2nd in the bag if I could avoid getting dropped! With a lap to go Jamie missed a turn so I knew he was about to attack and so it turned out just at the headquarters he jumped taking one with him. I worked well with the other 2 who were obviously racing each other so I just hoped they didn't start jumping around as that would've had me in a pickle. Fortunately they seemed about as pooped as I was until one jumped with a mile to go. I then outsprinted the other for 4th over the line but 2nd A category. It's been a long time since I've done 50 miles in a break at 25mph average but I was pleased to see it, know I needed to be in it and then, just, make it across. I felt bad missing turns but I know my limits and I had to make sure I made it to the end. now I need to get a bit fitter and thinner to be able to contribute and maybe, if Jamie doesn't race, I might get on top of that podium one day. :D
by Cam B Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:29 pm
Well done Damian :D . I was really chuffed to see you get in the break. I think your write up gets across how hard it is to actually do it! When I saw I you near Stillington Bridge you were all really motoring. Once I realized it was you in there I was tempted to give you a shout but Rule 57(a) in the LVRC Handbook states that Race Organizers have to be completely impartial at all times so I kept schtum :wink:
by DamianE Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:47 pm
Thanks for (not!) cheering Cam. I'd have been sick if at the end of that I got disqualified!
by timj Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:08 pm
Yes great ride Damien.I dallied for a couple of seconds .enough said.Difference between doing something and not I suppose.chapeau.Also to Andy Coates who came 3rd in his race.Thanks to Cam and all who helped out.spot on day for everyone who raced.
by JohnS Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:52 pm
Well done Damian

I went into the C race with a bit of trepidation after being dropped a couple of weeks ago. Second lap was brutal with attack after attack. Got caught on the wrong side of a split in the bunch on the climb up to Sheriff Hutton and made the mistake of waiting for the rider in front of me to close the gap. He didn't and by the time I realised the lead bunch was 200 yards up the road! Had to bury myself to close the gap but got back into contention just as we passed the HQ. After that I was fine and felt better as the race went on. At the finish knew I was hunting for scraps as a group of 4 had gone up the road but hesitated too long to launch my sprint and came home empty handed.

Still good experience and felt some better form. Not quite the same as last year but getting better. As Damian showed just need to be a bit braver and go with the big boys.

Huge thanks to everyone who made the event possible, Cam for organising and everyone else who gave up there time to Marshall, drive and help out.

It's a great day of racing.