Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by DamianE Mon May 30, 2016 8:18 am
Four Clifton racers (I think!) in the various LRVC races at Walkington on Sunday, organised by my old club Hull Thursday. Tim and I in the AB, John in the C's and I think I saw Andy in his race - guess his knee is still holding up! As expected, Jamie Sharpe attacking within 1 km and I knew I stood no chance going toe to toe all the way up that long drag to High Hunsley so I prayed he'd get caught. He didn't so 3/4 of the way up after another surge and slight easing I did my best "I can hold this for 3 minutes" full gas in an effort to catch him. Sadly nobody came with me so it was me against the National Champion. As you would expect, I caught, dropped him and lapped the field on the 8 mile circuit. Back in the real world, I got within a handful of seconds by the top, hoping he'd look and see me and wait. I was miles clear of the bunch so there was no risk him waiting. Sadly, Mr Sharpe NEVER looks behind so when I needed a breather on the downhill, he didn't. I ummmed and ahhhhhed for about 20 seconds but realised I wasn't going to catch him unless he freewheeled. I got caught a mile or two later and we pegged him in sight for a lap. Then on the 3rd lap a group got away and I missed it (first race of year, I wasn't paying enough attention). I saw quite a few "B's" in there so thought there might still be something on the line from my group. At that point I noticed Tim had gone, not sure if mechanical or the pace as it was pretty grippy that lap! We worked pretty well but the break was always pulling clear. On the last 2 laps it was mainly me and one other guy working on the drag so I was hoping I was one of the strongest. I resisted the temptation to attack (I lost Divi champs on there doing exactly that once!!) and backed myself for a sprint. I've had lots of good results on that finish (admittedly nearly 20 years ago) as its a finish that suits me well. I got myself well positioned for the uphill, headwind finish and left it late to jump, so managed to lead my group in to secure 4th in my age category. Was pretty pleased with a brown envelope in the first race but I really should've made the break. Not sure how I would've fared for 56 miles but maybe next time (at our race in 2 weeks). Caught up with John in the car park, he'd just been tailed off with a lap or two to go in his race after an all day gardening effort the day before. Can't be ideal prep that!
by timj Mon May 30, 2016 9:13 am
Just about summed it up there Damien.Just struggling to get into decent condition.Seems ok in training and feel strong (ish)on chain gang but when the hammer goes down I am struggling in race's.Got tailed off on the drag and had no back up so race over.Here's to the next one!!!Well done on your result.Cheers :D
by Cam B Mon May 30, 2016 9:36 am
Well done Damien. That sounds like a good ride. Never mind Tim. Keep plugging away and your form will come back soon.
Jamie frightened us all to death by turning up at the start at the NYERRL at Sherriff on Thursday :shock: . Luckily he was just out training
by JohnS Mon May 30, 2016 10:04 am
Well done Damian. I seem to be struggling to find any form this year. Went into the race with reasonable expectations given I had a decent showing in the C's at the Barton race in April. Reasonable steady start although 1 guy went straight from the gun, we just pegged him in the climb. Felt fine sitting in the top 10. Second time up the climb was tough with lots of attacks. I struggled to respond and a small group of us got gapped towards the top. Managed to rejoin the field on the descent but a small group got away as I was scrambling to get back on. Was fine in the bunch until the second to last time up the climb. Lack of racing miles was clearly showing and I just didn't have the legs to respond to another attack towards the top of the climb. Caught another couple of riders and we did a fairly decent 3-up for the last lap.

Disappointed to have got dropped in an LVRC race and feel I should be doing better! 2 weeks to sort myself out and hopefully have a better showing in the Clifton LVRC race.
by timj Mon May 30, 2016 12:01 pm
See u Tuesday night to put things right John!! :wink:
by mart66 Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:59 am
Good result, Damian.

One of the few things I'm looking forward to after hitting the big 40 is being able to race these.