Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by RichardD Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:45 pm
First of the nyrrl evening races tonight over at the classic pennypot circuit. The weather forecast was looking inclement (3C and chance of sleet) but I am an optimist and decided to see how it developed. For a lap all was well but then the hail, sleet and wind started to make their presence felt. I packed on the final lap leaving a front group of about 15. I couldn' t feel my fingers and was unable to brake or change gear. Got back to hq to find riders lined up against all the radiators and one wrapped in a blanket. Coldest I have ever felt on a bike and my fingers are still tingling. Not sure how the other Clifton riders got on, but the one or two that decided not to show made the right decision. Some say these experiences build character. Codswallop, give me 20 C and sunshine anytime.
by mart66 Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:19 am
Yeah - made the right decision ducking out of that I think!

I don't suppose the descent of Pot Bank was much fun.

Chapeau to you Richard and all that raced.
by Cam B Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:41 am
Worst 20 mins I've had on a bike! Tim may say the same although he lasted longer than me. I actually got dropped in the neutralized zone. I think I've lost my nerve a fair bit, on descents in particular, and was braking far too sharply going down Pot bank....If that was bad...No idea how I was going to cope going down this in anger when the race really started! The race still neutralized at that point. Lost a bit of ground then. Race then kicked off..... to my surprise! Riders in front of me starting losing wheels. There was point were I should have just really dug in and I would have been alright. I guess I couldn't quite accept that it was then that I needed to do it....You want to save that sort of effort to get in a break! 5 seconds later....It was then too late.....Just not strong enough to get back on after that as the gap opened. Worked with Tim and few others for a bit but the bunch disappeared up the road and then.... it started snowing :( . Easy decision to turn round and head back to HQ. I was suffering badly from the cold even then so hats off to Richard for sticking it out for that long. Back to the drawing board for me...I can get fitter and stronger but not sure how to sort my head out.
by timj Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:28 pm
Not good was it!I was of the same as Cam really thought the race was neutral til top of pot bank but it suddenly went off with us scrambling to stay in touch
THEN IT SNOWED .wow was I cold... dread to think what I would have done if i had punctured!!!!!Anyway caught a few riders but could not break properly so jacked.....Still need to work on speed as I have struggled at the start of races but by time I get going it is too late.:After not racing last year maybe it will take a bit of getting back into it.cheers