Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:25 pm
I'll be out turning the cranks in a (roughly) circular motion on Saturday morning. If you fancy joining me on a 3 hour 'training ride' the weather looks reasonable from here. Open to suggestions but suggest the following:

Heading West: out on the Wetherby Road ....After Tockwith... take a left heading to Boston Spa then usual west route: Bramham, Thorner, Barwick, Aberford, Sherburn, Cawood, and back to York.

For those familiar with most of this route it should allow us plenty of opportunity to line out if we want to from Sherburn. Dare I say... there are 'Road Races' next month :!: so we need to start thinking about waking those legs up :D

See you at the Square to get going by 9.00
by Cam B Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:19 pm
Good turn out in the square with one or two new faces. After our best impersonation of the ‘Keystone Cops’ in the first hour which involved: a vain less pursuit of John S’s doppelganger, a dropped bottle and a circuitous route to get us back on track with the 'West route' we eventually managed to squeeze a decent ride in amidst the relative chaos. I don’t know who was the leading the ride but... come on...Get a grip! :wink: Good compact riding into the headwind on the way out. We picked up a nice tailwind after Sherburn and do some decent paced thru and offing after Cawood. Well done to Mart who was bedevilled by gear indexing issues and a stiff link but still kept gamely coming thru to take strong turns. I would have given up ages ago.

I am no expert but just one observation about the pace line. It really helps - when you come thru to take your turn – not to surge... just ride smoothly thru aiming to sit right in front of the next guy. Don’t put 2-3 metres into him. I know the temptation is to get thru as quickly as possible and get the turn out of the way but little gaps open and it starts to fragment and we lose guys who drop off....but we need those guys to keep the group moving! If you were in a break in a race in a group of this size this is what you would be aiming to do unless you wanted to attack or ride weaker riders off your wheel... but that’s enough story. All good fun though. Thanks for the company. Hope to see you all next week :D
by mart66 Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:55 pm
After last week's off I planned to keep a low profile!

Not to be :oops: Turns out it was a very stiff link in my brand new chain. All sorted.

I think we passed in opposite directions in fulford today, Cam. You probably didn't realise it was me as I silently slipped past!

Cheers