Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:38 pm
A few of the Training Ride regulars met recently and thought about the format of these rides this year.
Open to ideas re: varying the routes etc. but... This Saturday we will "go traditional" as I know it's everyone's favourite :D :

....that is :- York - Malton via the Buttercrambe road, Coneysthorpe, Terrington, then a loop of the Sheriff Hutton/Stillington circuit (right at the mini roundabout after the climb into Sheriff) then back to York.

A few notes about the rides for those who haven't done them before:

When?: 9.00 am prompt Saturday morning from Exhibition Square. When the weather gets wintry, please check on here for last-minute news before turning out, in case routes are changed or rides cancelled.

Who is this ride for?: Open to Clifton members and friends (or those looking to join the club) who intend to race in 2016.

How far will we ride?: Generally on one of a series of regular routes (which will be outlined on here), each being approximately 3 hours non stop riding - up to about 60 miles.

What's the format?: The rides are group rides, with the intention of sticking together and taking short turns on the front - briskly on the flats and steady on the hills. Depending on the overall turnout on the day, there will usually be two or more groups of around 8 riders (We thought that 8 is a good number in a group...much more than that and you don’t get enough turns at the front). At this time of year there won't be a fast group and a slower group. Aim is to work together for max. training benefit for all.

Who is in charge?: Ride leaders will be allocated to each group. They will actively manage the group and you'll be expected to follow their instructions/advice. They will set an appropriate pace (which may be anywhere between 18-22mph but generally builds steadily towards the start of the race season. At this time of the year we should definitely be at the lower at end of this range. These are meant to be “endurance” rides at this time of year not “burn-ups”). I should be down most weeks and I am happy to lead one of the groups. If other “regulars” could stick their hand up on the morning (assuming they know the routes!) and lead one of the other groups.... Cheers.

Is this all I need for success and stardom?: The rides are good practice for riding in a fast group. We will do pace line work; get people used to changing side depending on wind direction etc. We will vary the route to include hillier routes when weather permits to reflect the type of circuits you are likely to race on in this region. But it is assumed that you will be doing other training (either on the road or turbo) to cover other training needs.

Will I get dropped?: Hopefully not, but... Unless mechanical issues/accidents occur, riders should not expect a training ride to slow to regroup. Everyone should be aware of the route so they can find their way home without the rest of the riders worrying about them. If it's your first time on one of these rides or you're a junior rider we'll make sure you get home safely. Please make sure you're self-sufficient in puncture repairs etc.

Anything else I need to know?: Just a couple of comments:- (i) We represent Clifton Cycling Club so please treat every car driver as a considerate road-sharing road user unless proven otherwise, and only pass vehicles if you're positive the whole group can safely do likewise, and (ii) mudguards of some sort can be safely fitted to any bike and you should really be thinking about putting some on your bike now until the early season races start (or roads are bone dry).

And remember... that these endurance rides should be "steady" :D
by Cam B Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:13 pm
I think the weather forecast put off a few so only of 6 of us down in the Square. But the weather only turned grotty after an hour and a half and even then it wasn't too bad. Good solid riding all round with everyone getting equal turns at the front. Nice steady pace maintained on the hills which kept things together nicely. Still not too cold as you'd expect this time of year. John S even cheekily showing a bit of (impressively tanned) calf. He assured us that the secret of his year round tan is to point the sun lap to the turbo trainer...So that's he does it!
Thanks all for a good ride...We'll do something similar, albeit on a different route, next Saturday :D