Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by paulM Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:32 pm
Just two out on this tonight which became three when I managed to catch up with Reuben and John (I was late as usual!) which became four when Simon joined us at the turn. didnt stop it being a great ride as it always is. I'm just plugging this a bit because I still think this is a top training ride but we could really do with a couple more bodies or so every week. I'm convinced this is the best training you can do and just dont understand when the club is organising training rides in November why a fast evening ride during the racing season doesnt get more support? We were discussing at the end of the ride if a change of start time maybe to 6:30 would make a difference - currently it is 6:15? As with anything like this clearly not everyone can ride every week but a core of riders making the effort to get out as often as they can makes all the difference. I can also confirm that this ride isnt a piss#ing contest - everyone does a turn and rides for the group. If it wasn't I wouldn't be dragging myself across York in two directions to ride it!
The route is always the same - meet at Acomb roundabout - Tockwith - Cowthorpe - a lap of a little circuit round Little Ribston and back the same way. Its fast and flat and its simplicity is its success!
by reubenbarrett Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:57 pm
Thanks Paul for kicking this off. I was the only one at the roundabout and was relieved to find John just after the Hessay turn. For anyone racing or wanting to work on their top end speed, this is the ride to do.

I'm there about 1 in every 3 or 4 weeks and love this ride. Good workout, normally really disciplined, very simple format as Paul says. It works very well.

Time is 6:15 at the roundabout but this is open to change if another time would suit more people. I'm not normally constrained by the start time and can do anything from 6:00 to 6:30pm. But would love to see a few more out on this ride so please post on here if you would come if the time was different.
by AndyM Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:02 am
Yup, always a great ride. I've been a regular over the past couple of years but haven't been along at all this year due to work commitments.

I'd encourage anyone who fancies a fast, disciplined ride to give it a go. Don't be discouraged by thinking that you may not make it all the way round - part of the fun is going back each week to get closer and closer back to York before getting dropped. Before long you'll make it the whole way round and then you can start dishing out the hurt :)
by MarkP Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:39 am
Im guessing its down to the popularity of the new multi grouped cycleworks/veloclub chaingang... :roll:
by Dr Dave Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:13 pm
I gather the 6pm Cycleworks /VC York training ride/chain gang from B&Q is pretty popular with a number of Clifton members attending regularly.
Personally I'm still at work at 6 so cannot make these. Can't help thinking it would be good if Clifton members supported a Clifton training ride instead of a rival one although maybe a grown up discussion between adults could ensure that there isn't competition for riders - Clifton on Tuesday, Cycleworks on Thursday??
Also don't think I could keep up with the Clifton ride whereas the other has a wider ability spread and is large enough to cater for this as turns can be short and slower riders can sit in - the faster lads take longer turns.
May be worth raising this in the General section as a number of non-racers turn out on the Cycleworks/VC rides.

Keep pedalling!
by pete p Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:21 pm
Tut Tut, Clifton members choosing to go on the VCY/Cycleworks chainy should hang there head in shame :lol:
Don't know what it is with the Clifton rides at the moment but its not the only ride that's struggling for numbers in my opinion. The 8:45 has gone from a very popular ride to just a handful of rider's turning out & the Sunday Clubruns & Challenge rides are also sounding a bit sparse reading Rob's weekly reports.

On a brighter note the Saturday 10am rides seem to be as popular as ever :D

Maybe there's just more rides/options/clubs out there now cycling has become Kool 8)
by Dr Dave Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:53 pm
Agree with the general thrust of this. 350+ members and only a handful of regulars on the Sunday club run, the 8.45 and the mid - week training ride. Something isn't right.........

I see that this week's comic has an article on Ilkley CC saying they have 1400 members (40% female) and rides for all abilities 6 days a week......

Keep pedalling!
by timj Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:53 pm
If that is the case why do people join the club?They don't race they don't do social rides they don't time trail...what is the point in joining the club?I have done a few 845 rides lately and there were 3/4of us on all of them!!!!The club seem to have all kinds of rides covered.
by bobber122 Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:32 pm
I would be up for the Tuesday evening ride starting anytime after 6 but have a few reservations. What is the distance and what speed do you average?
by paulM Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:43 pm
30ish miles Bob - I'm not sure the average speed is relevant here - as is out and back I would say probably about 20 -22 mph out and 25 - 26 mph back but is dependant on wind direction and who's out!
by bobber122 Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:29 pm
Yeah don't think I could keep up with those speeds. Haven't really riden in groups before just solo. Wouldn't want to be the one left behind!!
by mart66 Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:45 pm
If anyone is out on the chain gang on Tuesday - there are some temporary traffic lights just as you come round the corner into Cowthorpe.
by Max Rose Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:21 pm
I'm up for the chaingang, the only problem is being in strensall it's difficult to get out to acomb on an evening especially with sixth form during the day, and it's easier for me to just go out and do solo training in the hills- exams over though and school finished so should be getting out to it occasionally at least!

Max