Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by RichardD Mon May 11, 2015 5:12 pm
Barnsley RR for Cam, Mart and I. 12 laps of a 4.5 mile circuit which is basically either climbing or descending with an exposed top section. It is a good course but the wind played havoc with big gusts after the climb. The pace was very high from the start and after 2 laps there were splits in the cross winds with everyone scrambling to make their way up the groups in front. After digging deep I made it into the second group with Cam but there were about 10 ahead. Turns out they were being dragged along by a local lad who went on to ride solo and win by 5 mins. Phenomenally strong, and I am sure he will be racing much higher up the catagories very soon. Our bunch chased the remaining group up front for a bit (without much help from me) but the climbing and wind started to take its toll over the next 10 laps. The race was in bits from the start and our chasing bunch started with about 25 and come the last lap there were only 8 of us left. After the event it turns out 'the break' had also fragmented and we were sprinting for 10th. Came in 12th with Cam on my wheel.
It was one of those races where after a few laps you start to think 'I cannot keep this up, I might have to pack it in', but eventually the laps tick down and you start to feel better, hoping everyone else is in more pain than you. A perversely enjoyable ride, but still a little disappointing and need to learn to get closer to the front, especially when it is windy.
Not racing for 3 weeks and will miss the Div Champs next weekend because I have to attend my nephews first birthday party. A clash I was unaware of until it was too late. I have already reserved the same weekend for forthcoming years in perpetuity (at least that is my understanding). Good luck to those riding.
by Cam B Mon May 11, 2015 5:53 pm
Barnsley RR for me too. Similar experience to Richard really. It was a proper test of your climbing and bike handling since the descent had crosswinds to deal with and was a little technical. Felt pretty horrible for the first few laps. Got over the deflating experience of seeing the break ride up the ride. Worked pretty hard for a good few laps in the chasing group. The impetus well and truly went out of this with about 3 to go. The 'bunch' if you can call it that amounted to 9 of us toward the end until we picked up a few lapped riders or breakaway casualties...not sure which. Race programme described the course as being up and down and it was certainly that..can't recall a flat bit of tarmac. On reflection suppose I should be fairly pleased with 4th from the our group (you've got to think of the positives!) and 13th overall since over half the field must have packed
by mart66 Tue May 12, 2015 7:17 am
I was one of the ones that packed in.
A big climb and then huge crosswinds on the descent meant no recovery and then we were climbing again!

I'm not going at all well at the moment and my legs felt awful.

I watched a lap from race hq. I would guess there were about 20 left in the race and a few lapped riders. The kid who won was something else. I don't think he'll be in many more 3/4 races!