Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by RichardD Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Raced the LVRC Derek Smith Memorial over at Greetland on Saturday with MarkD and I in the A/B and AndyC in the EFGH race. The 10 lap course is exposed and can be very windy but this year apart from some light rain it was not too bad.

The race did not start well for me. Mark and I went for a warm up lap and were cutting it fine in time for the start. I needed to meet a call of nature and thought 'they always start a minute or two late'. It didn't. By the time I got past the older riders waiting for their start times the AB race was 100m up the road. Fortunately the start is the main climb so I had plenty of time to get back on before the fast descent. When we did reach the top I noticed Jamie Sharp had already gone off the front and was down the descent not to be seen again. He won by over 5 minutes and left the rest of us to fight for the lower placings.

The first four laps were the usual stop start with short lived attacks until three got away and it looked like it would stick. I was feeling ok and thought I would try to bidge but never made it. Got to within about 100m but I was starting to tire and then was blocked at a junction by a passing van. It was only a few seconds but I had to stop and my momentum was gone. Carried on and realised the bunch were still not in sight so pressed on and eventually got within distant sight of the three. On the last lap one must have blown up or punctured and the two remaining ahead were slowing before the sprint but finished 100m or so ahead. As I crossed the line I looked back and the front of the bunch were just a few seconds behind.

I do not think I have ever felt so tired after a race. If I had known I would have to ride solo for well over an hour there is no way I would have done it. Not been in that position before and do not do TT's. As the laps ticked by and I was getting more tired it was mentally doing my head in. Character building stuff I suppose, but at my age I do not need anymore character.

The upside of course was the satisfaction, and the three ahead of me on the road were all A's, so I got first B and a white envelope. Not racing next weeked and looking forward to watching the pro's in pain.