Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by RichardD Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:14 am
Hull Thursday RR on the North Newbald Circuit with a large Clifton contingent. First of the year for me and I found this a hard race throughout with stiff cross winds picking up along the long drag up the hill. The race split on the second lap and I was too far back and slow (bad combination) to make the front group of six in the end. Ended up in the second group with Damien and Cam which slowly whittled down over the next few laps to about 15. Slipped my chain with two to go but managed to get back on after a chasing lap, with a little help from Simon Melton in the following car to bridge the last few metres. After that sat in until half lap to the finish and then decided to have a go but my mind tried to write a cheque my legs could not cash. After only about 200 meters I blew up and rolled in leaving the sprint up the hill to those with some energy left. Tough race and I am not sure many more than half finished. Good training at least, but hopefully better luck to come.
by DamianE Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:16 am
As said by Richard had the race at North Newbald. I don't know why I do it, I never do any good! Just didn't have the zip as the front group simply rode away first time up the hill. Last time up I couldn't quite hold the rest and trailed in about 20th I think. Very windy and a hard workout if nothing else I suppose.
by JohnS Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:58 pm
Scotton 100 for me and had a bit of a mare! I know I'm probably a bit behind where I was last year and that was shown when the lead bunch split in the off-road section after Ripley. Managed to hang on last year but not yesterday. At Brimham Rocks was 20 seconds down on the leaders but then the wheels fell off as I took a wrong turn. Realised I'd gone wrong when after a nice descent the road ended up as a dead end in a farm yard. Retraced my steps but must have lost 5 minutes or so. Was joined by 1 of the Cycleworks guys just before Ripon and we did a pretty good 2-up after that. Caught and dropped a few other riders. Unfortunately our partnership split at Helperby when he blew and I was on my own. This was the hardest part of the day as the wind had come up from nothing and the last 10 miles or so was back into the teeth of the gale. Final insult to injury was puncturing at Arkendale with a mile or so to go. Put some more air in and tried to limp home but with a mile to go realised it wasn't going to work and had to change the inner tube.

Definitely the hardest Scotton 100 to date with wet and windy weather. I think we've been spoiled the last couple of years.

John

Yeah - I'm putting that down as a tough training session!

Ok up the hill but rubbish position on the flat and caught in crosswinds. Teamed up with a few others and finished but about 10 minutes down I should think!

64 starters and only 34 finishers. I was told.
by reubenbarrett Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:14 pm
Scotton 100 for me as well. As John has mentioned, tough day out with wind & rain. I managed to stay with the fast group until almost the top of Brimham Rocks off road section but lost them as the ride accelerated on the flatter bit at the end of that section. Real shame as it is downhill from there and I reckon I was only a few watts (or a few kilograms!) away from sticking with them..

Although I'm not sure I have the bottle required for some of the downhill off-road bits either so I might have been dropped there anyway. I did pass 2 who had punctured in the very rough section coming down from Fountains Abbey into Ripon. The Trouée d'Arenberg has nothing compared to that section! :wink:

I think I finished in the top 10 which was very pleasing given the conditions and riding more than half of it solo. Tough ride, highly recommend it for anyone who wants a good day out. Although it is obviously slightly mad.

My thanks to those involved in organising, marshalling, putting up signs, time-keeping and feeding us. Great day out.
by DamianE Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:39 pm
In the hope it clashes again next year, I'm doing the Scotton if only as an excuse to not to have to race that road race! Might need some off road practice mind, sounds exciting... :? :shock:
by Cam B Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:08 pm
Similar experience to everyone else in Keith Carter RR. Once the gaps had opened vainly tried to chase in the second group but it wasn't happening. Finished pretty high up in that group but probably outside the points. Yes ...it's a tricky climb - to say the least - on that circuit...Back to the drawing board for me :)